Normal Direction for copy to points or copy stamp

11778   6   4
154 posts
Does anyone know how to fix the normal direction for the ferns in this file? right now it's all facing up but I want it to face the way the ground is facing. Thanks!

Attachments:
Jungle2.hiplc (831.3 KB)
スクリーンショット 2017-06-13 0.38.08のコピー.jpg (4.0 MB)

116 posts
Throw a normal sop on before the scatter node and make sure you go to the scatter node output attrib tab and export N to the points.
Simon van de Lagemaat
owner the Embassy VFX
154 posts
Hello, thank you for your reply. I tried it but still seems not to be working…
Sorry I'm a beginner..

Attachments:
スクリーンショット 2017-06-13 2.34.40のコピー.jpg (3.6 MB)
Jungle2.hiplc (837.6 KB)

154 posts
I changed the attribute name of the attribute randomize from “orient” to “up” and it seems to be working now!
Thank you very much!
Edited by ALMINA - June 12, 2017 22:11:02

Attachments:
スクリーンショット 2017-06-13 3.08.47のコピー.jpg (3.7 MB)

1 posts
Does anyone know how to fix my cubes as they are in a random direction when I copy to points?
I need them all to face up in the Y axis. Thanks

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-06-15 110908.png (1.3 MB)

359 posts
Copy to Points uses a number of different possible attributes to determine the orientation of copies. Those attributes include:

3@transform
p@orient
p@rot
v@N
v@up
v@v

At a minimum you need to provide an N attribute as the "forward" direction for each copy. That said, if you don't also provide an up attribute, Houdini is going to guess at the up direction, and it will often guess wrong. Create an up attribute in a Point Wrangle on the template points like this:

v@up = {0,1,0};

If you want a detailed breakdown of how these attributes are meant to work, look here [www.toadstorm.com].
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
132 posts
Another issue to watch out for is that @orient (and likely some other attributes that @toadstorm listed above) will override the use of @N and @up in Copy To Points.
I've unknowingly had garbage values for @orient being passed from previous nodes and they break the @N and @up behavior and leave me scratching my head until I notice. The lesson: Clean out old attributes and groups when you can!
  • Quick Links