Build new PC

3309   2   2
2 posts
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good processor for my new PC..I can afford Intel Xeon processor…so I have to stick with i7 or Amd Ryzen 7..

Intel i7-6800k
Intel i7-7700k
Rayzen 1700x

I searched on net and find that Intel i7-7700k is not good in performance compare to i7-6800k and new Rayzen 1700x

I already have AMD FX 8350 machine..with limited config..

Processor : AMD FX 8350
Graphic card : GTX 560TI
Ram : CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB
Motherboard : M5A97 R2.0
Cabinet : Antec gx505
Power : Corsair RM750x watt

This config is not giving any performance…AMD known for heating issue..random shutdown bcz of this..I dont have cooling kit in my current machine temperature goes till 84°c..

So I don't know trust to Rayzen or not..My new config which I am trying to build now is

Processor & Motherboard : Need suggestions
Ram : 32gb corsair vengeance PRO
Graphic card : gtx 1070
Power supply : corsair RM750x (same)
Cooling : Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
Cabinet : antec gx505 (same)
SSD : Samsung evo pro 250g
236 posts
Hi, I bought a similar setup last year. It was before Ryzen but given the choice now I'd still go for the i7-6900k as it allows for more max RAM. However, if you know you'll never need 128GB in that build's lifetime, it's worth considering the Ryzen instead.

I also have a GTX 1070 which is overkill for Houdini viewport but I use it mainly for Substance Painter and will possibly use it for Redshift in the future.

250GB SSD seems a bit small so I assume you are going for a Hybrid setup with an HDD. I would suggest going for full SSD. In Houdini, it's often better to cache data (ie. simulations) to the SSD so the faster it is, the better. I used to use a Hybrid setup; SSD(OS), HDD(Main) but I now use a HDD for backup only as it's noticeably slower for anything else.

As Houdini is very versatile, it really depends on what you intend to do with it.
ie. RAM
- If you run out of RAM for a render, it will use the scratch disk which is much slower. (ie. large renders)
- The more RAM you have, the less you may need to cache data but sometimes it's just more efficient to cache. (large/long simulations)
- If you've never come close to hitting your 16GB limit, let alone 32 or 64, you probably won't need 128.
These are all questions only you can answer and would determine whether the Broadwell-E or the Ryzen would be a better choice.

A good site for builds/upgrades is pcpartpicker.com where you can also check compatibility.

Rob
54 posts
The Ryzen series is completely different from the old FX you currently have. Much faster, less power needed.

In my opinion with a Ryzen 1700x you got the best for the cost, 16 thread vs 12 of 6800k an advantage for every multithread task, less cost with also the standard Wraith Spire Led cooler included, more power efficient at 95w vs 140w of the 6800k, faster supported Ram. The Ryzen 1700 cost even less and can easily overclocked with standard cooler and mobo to the same clock of the X version.
Single thread performance will be 5-10% below the i7, not noticeable in day work.
Also if you plan to install 32GB Ram I suppose you didn't have problems with the 64GB max.
About the mobo if you didn't need advanced overlock or features you can use a standard B350 chipset such as the MSI 350 Tomahawk, with a long list of certified RAM, possibility of mild overclock, good price.
Edited by davide445 - June 22, 2017 05:33:49
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 4x16GB 3200 Mhz, Kfa2 GTX 1070 EX 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, KDE Neon
  • Quick Links