Has Turbulent Noise VOP changed?

1659   2   2
5 posts
Has the turbulent noise vop function changed between version H14 and H16?

Specifically I am using the “Simplex Noise” function. I noticed that when I load the noise with the same parameters the output looks different.

Is there a way to get legacy values for this noise node so my scene files will remain consistent?
1743 posts
bradonwebb
Has the turbulent noise vop function changed between version H14 and H16?
Specifically I am using the “Simplex Noise” function.
It doesn't look like there have been any significant changes in that code since Houdini 14. What platform are you on? If you're on Windows, it might be due to our changing from Visual Studio 2012 to 2015 to build Houdini, if the change is due to changed roundoff error.

If you absolutely need the values to be the same, the only way is to save them, e.g. if it's in an Attribute VOP SOP, you can open the HIP file in the earlier version of Houdini, lock the SOP, and save the HIP file, then open it in the new version of Houdini.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
Staff
6219 posts
Turbulent Noise VOP didn't change, but Simplex noise did. Unfortunately, the change did not enable us to keep the old version around, so you'll have to bake the values if you require a match in 16.

From the Compatibility logs:

Houdini 16.0.480:

The VEX and OpenCL versions of Simplex noise and Simplex-based curlnoise have been re-implemented for improved quality, particularly in 4-D, at a slight performance penalty. While the overall look of the new noise should be similar, the noise values for a given input will be different and could cause backward incompatibilities.
  • Quick Links