5 hours 50 mins, still noisy

5548   11   2
253 posts
Can you please help me troubleshoot this scene, it's taking almost 6 hours to render per frame and there's still a lot of noise.

https://we.tl/3OxNKLPf8w [we.tl]

I'm using 16.0.541 i7-6800k 3.4 ghz 32 gb ram

Thanks.
Edited by A-OC - June 27, 2017 21:22:51

Attachments:
wat_pic.jpg (385.3 KB)

33 posts
try to use this Enable Point Cloud for reduce noise and create a portal light from geo to minimize your rays from GI light, it will give you only rays from this portal geo.

ps, btw in your scene there isnt a wall)
Edited by Konstantin Kovalenko - June 28, 2017 10:09:08

Attachments:
houdini_2017-06-28_16-03-45.jpg (72.2 KB)

253 posts
Thanks, that point cloud check box really speeds things up. BUT, big BUT, it makes the water behave very strangely, I tried a lot of combinations with parameters to no avail. I went up to 10 million photons in 1 test. I also tried the classic and the principled shader instead of the basic liquid. Please watch the attached attempts.

The walls are in the geometry “walls” node, also there is a front wall set to phantom “box_coll” , it's just a scaled box.

Attachments:
output_obGjrI.gif (3.9 MB)

Staff
107 posts
A-OC
Thanks, that point cloud check box really speeds things up. BUT, big BUT, it makes the water behave very strangely, I tried a lot of combinations with parameters to no avail. I went up to 10 million photons in 1 test. I also tried the classic and the principled shader instead of the basic liquid. Please watch the attached attempts.

The walls are in the geometry “walls” node, also there is a front wall set to phantom “box_coll” , it's just a scaled box.

Hi, as mentioned above, there are no walls in your scene, the ‘walls’ object node only has the floor/ceiling geometry.

There is also a reference to an alembic object with a path do your local machine. Could you repackage the scene with the necessary geometry and file references.

Cheers,
Scott
—————-
Scott Keating
Product Designer
SideFX Software
—————-
253 posts
Oh, that's weird, here's another try.

https://we.tl/3pLi5byIyg [we.tl]

Where was that reference to alembic ?
604 posts
If you have a decent GPU, you can download the Redshift Demo and render you Sims with it.

Instead of hours per frame, you'd be looking at minutes per-frame.

Redshift3D [www.redshift3d.com]
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
253 posts
Thanks. As I understand it, the scene has to fit into the vram right?

So if this scene uses 6 gb of ram to render, I would need a graphics card with at least a 6 gb of vram ?
6 posts
A-OC
Thanks. As I understand it, the scene has to fit into the vram right?

As a Houdini user, Daryl will be able to provide more insightful info, but as a fellow user I can give some basics.

Redshift has a system called Out of Core rendering. This allows you to render scenes that escape the amount of VRAM on your card(s). I know for a fact that textures and geometry can go out of core, I'd need Daryl to confirm particles and volumes (forgetting atm).

When VRAM is saturated, it will start paging data from disk to memory then to the GPU in a continuous feed as buckets are rendered, rather than disk to GPU as you normally would. So with Redshift you aren't constrained to VRAM size as you are with other renderers.

Note that when going OOC, rendering speed will reduce dramatically, often times closer to their traditional CPU counterparts. That's scene depending however. I haven't personally tested this, but don't use system RAM usage from Mantra as a metric for Redshift. RS has a highly efficient data system, so actual VRAM usage may be less than that. General rule of thumb: 500K unique quads = 60MB VRAM.

Did I do good Daryl?
Edited by Michael Rochefort - July 26, 2017 02:04:19
604 posts
Michael Rochefort
Did I do good Daryl?

Yes, Michael is correct, and to clarify, Volumes/Particles can go OOC as well.

You're entire scene does not have to fit into VRAM - if you look at the SESI Homepage right now, you'll see a mention of the ‘American Gods’ article, that shot was rendered entirely with Redshift. If you click on the article, you'll see a comment by me that links to the Redshift article about the same, where Tendril describes how they rendered the shots - and have since switched their entire shop over to Redshift and are building a GPU farm to replace their CPU farm.

One thing you'll notice from the related Redshift article, is that Tendril had 90GB worth of textures spread over 6 UDIM's per Character, and Redshift chewed right through it.
Edited by TwinSnakes007 - July 26, 2017 10:28:06
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
253 posts
Wow, that sounds very attractive.

So if you have 2 cards, you can render twice as many polys ?

I don't see the American Gods article, do you have a link ?
236 posts
Your scene isn't available for download anymore. Can you re-upload?
Those render times are not right at all.

Cheers

Lewie
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
253 posts
Thanks for stepping in, here it is:

https://we.tl/UTvtSVAsB7 [we.tl]
  • Quick Links