Can not search help with suse linux

4433   7   1
141 posts
I finally got to install suse x64 on my workstation. I can not use the search function in the help browers. Rather if i type “vex” or anything, nothing comes up.

I did install java thinking that was the problem but I'm still in the same boat.

So….Calling all SUSE Evangelists

How did you get the help browser search to work?

my env is as follows:

cpu : amd X2 3800
memory : 2 gig
Grapics: Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT
Driver: 1.0-7676

Java: jre-1.5.0_06-fcs

Cheers,

/Rick
/Rick
13 posts
Do you mean the Suse Help center?
If yes, this is what you need to do:

Open up “Suse Help Center” (Under Desktop)
And then Settings->Build Search index…
Check all the boxes you need and hit build index.

Hope this helpes
141 posts
hi

sorry no, I mean search the houdini help files.
/Rick
13 posts
OH! my bad..that i would know nothing about.
4140 posts
What version of houdini are you running? That might be relevant.

I'm running x64/SUSE 10, and here's what I have installed/configured(and obviously everything works OK ):

java-1_4_2-sun-1.4.2.06-5
gcc-java-4.0.2_20050901-3
java-1_5_0-sun-plugin-1.5.0_03-2
java-1_4_2-sun-plugin-1.4.2.06-5
java-1_5_0-sun-1.5.0_03-2
java-1_4_2-sun-jdbc-1.4.2.06-5
java-1_5_0-sun-jdbc-1.5.0_03-2

(all those different packages perhaps not as important, but very possible having the older 1.4 in there is related). I don't actually have a package with the word “jre” in it - AFAIK the “java” packages are the runtime environment.

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre
JAVA_ROOT=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre

Running 8.0.454, but the vast majority of Houdini releases have worked fine with search. All of the above packages are *only* installed from the original disks, or updated through the SUSE updater.

The first thing I always tell people with SUSE is to always always use the Yast installer, using the original disks, to install software instead of downloading off the net, unless of course the disks don't come with that package.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
141 posts
Hi JC!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I forgot to mention the houdini version:
houdini-8.0.475 64bit install

I downloaded the jre rpm from the java.sun website.

I just ran yast and choose the software maagement applet . I searched for java but I didn't see anything for java-1.x in the results. Only jre and gcc-java turns up.

I wonder if this is because i'm using the opensource version of suse.

edit:

In the following path:

/usr/lib64/jre/

it's empty.

If I run the online update utility, I can search for java and it all appears as you have listed but it's all greyed out and I can not click on it to do anything. I guess it thinks it's already installed.
/Rick
4140 posts
Hmmm, could be the opensource version. Just to verify - you did search for just “java”, right, without the “1-”? Let's not let naming conventions in the different releases muss this up.

Another big issue is the 64 version…I don't run that here because I haven't had the time or inclination to scale it across the grid(most stuff is 32 bit here). You might want to try running the 32 bit version(I use the RH9 release myself - the RHEL release has bizarre issues across different hardware for us + SUSE 10).

There's lots of gotcha's when running 64 bit with 32 bit compatible libraries…on app might expect 32, another 64.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
141 posts
JColdrick
Hmmm, could be the opensource version. Just to verify - you did search for just “java”, right, without the “1-”? Let's not let naming conventions in the different releases muss this up.

Yup, I just typed java in the search window.

Another big issue is the 64 version…I don't run that here because I haven't had the time or inclination to scale it across the grid(most stuff is 32 bit here). You might want to try running the 32 bit version(I use the RH9 release myself - the RHEL release has bizarre issues across different hardware for us + SUSE 10).

There's lots of gotcha's when running 64 bit with 32 bit compatible libraries…on app might expect 32, another 64.

I just noticed that you mentioned you were running the 32 bit version of houdini on the mailing list and was going to ask why, now I know.

I'll hunt down the java rpms and switch houdini to the 32 bit RH9 release.

Thanks for the tips!

/Rick
/Rick
  • Quick Links