Getting Error feedback with Python in Houdini on OSX

2663   1   2
99 posts
How do I get debug/error feedback in H16 when using python in nodes on OSX? Is launching Houdini via the terminal the only way? I am not sure I know how off hand.

When things are successful, I can see print statements in the “python shell” window.. but nothing if say Houdini cannot locate a module.

It seems Houdini no longer ships with a console.app in the utilities folder.

Initially I would get a pop-up window error over the UI, but sadly I clicked the button at some point to send errors to console.. which does not seem to exist on osx. Any idea how to get that pop-up error back? It was better than nothing.

Any tips or words of advice? Should I just do everything in sublime and then bring just finished code over. I worry that Houdini will introduce new errors.. like locating non-standard modules that sublime will be able to locate.

Thanks, Ken
Edited by Kfinla - Sept. 8, 2017 12:37:09
32 posts
On macOS, Houdini uses the system’s Python.framework and only displays errors at its Alert level (LOG_ALERT recorded on /var/log/system.log). AFAIK there isn't a default daemon that's logging debug or exception errors at the system level that would appear in the Console.app. Looks like macOS does a hand off to what ever app is using its Python for that, so my guess is you can use HOM to store and retrieve arbitrary data on individual nodes [www.sidefx.com] to print to Houdini's Python console.

Hopefully, a Houdini Python expert will fill us in on these missing pieces of the error logging puzzle.
Edited by kwiknip - Sept. 8, 2017 21:33:20
Houdini Indie 15.5.547
NVidia GeForce GT 650M-1GB-GDDR5 OGL 4.1_OCL 1.2
MacBook Pro Retina 15.4"_OSX 10.11.6_Intel Quad i7 @ 2.3GHz x8(Auto-Overclock 3.3GHz Turbo Boost)_16GB-1600MHz DDR3L_256GB-SSD
Magic Mouse2
  • Quick Links