BUG: Wire dop

5559   8   1
2199 posts
I was just taking a look at Will Cunninghams new book and having a flick through the examples. The hairyWires.hip seems to highlight a bug in the wiresolver. Try cooking it passed frame 15 - cpu hits 100% and the sim stops.
This is the first file I've tried, and the first time I've looked at the wireSolver in ages, have I just got unlucky or is this still a work in progress?

Attachments:
hairyWires.hip (60.8 KB)

The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
Staff
329 posts
Are you using a build before Houdini 8.0.467? I believe the issue responsible for that problem was fixed in Houdini 8.0.467.
2199 posts
I tried it in H8.0.410 and H8.0.485 I think, I check when I get home, I only have H8.0.347 here at work
2199 posts
No I lied in was H8.0.438….. I can't keep up with the rate you guys pump out updates. Is it a world record do you think? It should definately go in your marketing blurb! I guess it's all procedural
2199 posts
Just tried with H8.0.474 and it won't get passed frame 3. Seriously broken at the in that build.
4140 posts
Runs fine here with 481 on x64 SUSE 10, but I'm not sure what I should be seeing. It's somewhat slow, but every frame appears to be randomly twisted hair(*really* twisted ).

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
2199 posts
well I get different results on different build but none what I'd expect.
on .410 it starts to fall onto the head/sphere as expected then hits frame 15 on never goes any further cpu maxed out at 100% forever.
On .474 it immediately gets mangled on frame 2 or 3 can't remember which, it should be falling onto the head/sphere until you get a tribble like object.
Staff
329 posts
Ah, there was a second issue. The problem is fixed in Houdini 8.0.487.
2199 posts
he he he he :twisted: I win

Thanks for the fix
  • Quick Links