Does Apprentice support obj file import?

10531   6   0
11 posts
Hey all,

I prefer doing my modeling in Wings 3D and I was curious if it would be possible to import models into Apprentice for rigging, animating and rendering using the .obj file format.

Thanks!
Staff
270 posts
Yes, obj models should be supported to some degree. You can load in the model with a File SOP.
11 posts
Thanks for the quick reply lucas.

Glad to hear that this is possible. I'll be picking up my copy of Apprentice at the Toronto office very soon.
11 posts
lucas
Yes, obj models should be supported to some degree. You can load in the model with a File SOP.

I've been trying to import an obj file using the file SOP into Apprentice with no luck. I'm getting an error in the network that says Houdini is unable to read the file. Do you only need to add the File SOP and then navigate to the obj file to import it or are there any other steps necessary?
Staff
270 posts
Are there any spaces in the file name or in the path to the file? I'm told Houdini doesn't handle spaces well in the file sop.

If the path seems okay, then I guess Houdini isn't able to read in that obj file. Is it a nurbs model or a polygonal model? Does Wings 3D let you save out IGES files? If so, you may have better luck loading an IGES file into Houdini.
7725 posts
I tried importing (via the file sop) a dodecahedron obj file exported from wings 3d and it worked fine. The only thing I had to add was a Reverse SOP to reverse the primitive normals.
11 posts
You guys are awesome. It was indeed a space in the path (My Documents)
With the space removed everything worked perfectly.

Thank you!
  • Quick Links