HConfig loaded ?

1591   9   1
767 posts
When opening Windows > Shell within Houdini; how is the hconfig command loaded, thought an Environment variable ?
【T】【C】【S】
2042 posts
Not sure what your asking.

When I open the Houdini Console and type/enter hconfig…it does what it's meant to do.

Are you trying to understand what's going on “under the hood”?
767 posts
I want to know how this command is called from within command; how is it setup ? You could say I want to know what is going on under the hood
【T】【C】【S】
2042 posts
That I don't know, maybe someone else does know.

But probably what most people would ask, is why?

hconfig -h will give you all the info you need to know in what it can do for you.

But to continue down the line your interested in you probably have to step outside Houdini and start with something like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_interface [en.wikipedia.org]
767 posts
Is HConfig brought in by an environment variable or what have you ? I hope someone can give some more insight.
【T】【C】【S】
2042 posts
Here's a couple more links that might help…

Command Line Interface [en.wikipedia.org]

and

Shell

From this second link the following may give you some hints…

Most operating system shells are not direct interfaces to the underlying kernel, even if a shell communicates with the user via peripheral devices attached to the computer directly. Shells are actually special applications that use the kernel API in just the same way as it is used by other application programs. A shell manages the user–system interaction by prompting users for input, interpreting their input, and then handling an output from the underlying operating system (much like a read–eval–print loop, REPL). Since the operating system shell is actually an application, it may easily be replaced with another similar application, for most operating systems.
767 posts
@BabaJ - You supplied me the same link twice
The quote helps but, a kernel or command interface doesn't know what a command such as hConfig is without it being informed how it's informed is what I'm not understanding.
【T】【C】【S】
2042 posts
Hmm….

Shell

What I suspect is that the houdini console is a compiled shell.

It's a compiled program that has included - in the case of a windows system, the same functionality of the windows console and then some, like hconfig.

Which if this is the case, it's not really looking anywhere for hconfig because that functionality has already been built and would be seen in the source code files used to compile the houdini console.

It may be that SideFX used the windows console as a template and modified/added to it for us Houdini users for specific purposes that could not be obtained with only the windows console, save us having to write out our own library of .cmd/.bat files.

The reason I say it might be compiled is because of this guy who wanted to add functionality to the windows console that was not there…so he created one which is compiled. Which is why I think SideFX did something similar.

https://scotch.io/tutorials/get-a-functional-and-sleek-console-in-windows [scotch.io]

Although this guy used Git Bash…SideFX may have done something similar but with a different source, like maybe Bash alone?

Here's another link that kind of gives some more crumbs on the matter…

https://superuser.com/questions/1053633/what-is-git-bash-for-windows-anyway [superuser.com]
2042 posts
for some reason my linking is not working…

Shell
was suppose to point to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(computing)
767 posts
I think what you said in your previous post makes sense. As in SideFX compiled a console with their commands built in. That should be the information I need to hopefully do what I want
Edited by _Christopher_ - Oct. 11, 2017 13:43:13
【T】【C】【S】
  • Quick Links