Increase the segments with keeping of the position of the polyextrude?

1977   4   1
23 posts
Hi,

the position of the polyextrude are not correct if I increase the segments.

does anybody know how to do that?

thanks! see pictures below.

unlime

Attachments:
1.png (194.9 KB)
2.png (278.9 KB)

236 posts
Hi, it's a bit hard to tell from the screenshots but I assume you are creating a group by selecting from viewport and extruding that group. If so, you need to change the group selection to something more procedural. ie. If you are extruding polygon 20 and you increase the subdivisions, polygon 20 will become smaller and change position. (use visualisation for primitive number and you'll see for yourself)

I've attached a quick sample hip file with 4 options, I'm sure others can provide more options. (maybe something using expressions)

Option 1 - Bounding box group. Not great for this example (sphere).
Option 2 - Extrude & delete. Not sure if this suits your needs as the extrusion keeps the original subdivision.
Option 3 - Boolean union. Doesn't involve extrude but does keep position well.
Option 4 - Ray sop. I don't use this much but it could provide an option to look at.

Rob

Attachments:
Options.hiplc (110.2 KB)

23 posts
ah great thanks a lot!!
23 posts
Hey unlime,

I saw your post last night and decided to take a crack at it. I went the ray sop route, slightly different from rob's, though his all seemed like good solutions too! This was a as much a learning experience for me as well

The way it works is that it uses a ray sop to project a point onto the surface of the sphere, and its position is tied to the smaller sphere, so you can interactively move it around. The ray sop conveniently creates an attribute based on the primitive number it is currently on. From there it was a matter of wrestling with it to get into a primitive group that could be extruded with the poly extrude. Hope this helps!

-Eric
Edited by Subtle 1rony - Dec. 19, 2017 01:42:50

Attachments:
extrude keep position.hipnc (80.9 KB)

23 posts
that's really cool!! thanks a lot!!
  • Quick Links