Trouble creating outputs in my first HDA

1606   2   1
10 posts
I created a simple lightning generator asset for use a personal project that I'd like to implement into Cinema 4D.

Basically, the same number of points are scattered on two separate objects - a spline is drawn between points of the same index - those lines are cloned and I use a couple expressions to randomize the seed among cloned lines - those lines are resampled and displaced using a custom pointvop.

I managed to rid my setup of all errors and !!!s and just to test, I tried exporting my net as a HDA with the simplest controls, the input objects (using object merges), and a couple integer values like point count. I stayed out of the vop and any subnets just to simplify it a bit.

I can load my asset into Cinema 4D and I have all the corresponding sliders including object slots, but there is no actual output, whereas in Houdini my setup is clearly outputting a number of splines. I'm not sure what I am missing!!

BONUS QUESTION: If someone could provide me with a solution to scatter my points based on an object selection or vertex weight selection, that might be much more valuable in my case. I assume I would just add the group parameter from my scatter as a HDA parameter when I am exporting but I'd love to get some clarification as I can't even get the dang thing to work!

Thanks!
1743 posts
Alas, I have no knowledge of Cinema 4D.

However, for the bonus question, there are a few ways to scatter preferentially in some areas. If you use the Group parameter on the Scatter SOP, it must be a primitive group, (not point, vertex, or edge), but that should work. You could also create a point, vertex, or primitive density attribute on the surface and turn on the Density Attribute option. It will scatter more points in areas with a higher density value. There are some more complicated ways, but those are the easiest, so hopefully one of those works for you.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
10 posts
In case anyone does stop by I've implemented nd's fixes with no success!! Still need some help!
  • Quick Links