Middle mouse button in the Edit String for window pastes, how do I turn this off.

2119   5   2
17 posts
Repro: Create an attribute wrangle put in some code like
int iNumPr = nprimitives(0);
Select it and copy (ctrl +C) then middle mouse button (MMB) in the edit string window. Note that the code is pasted. Sometimes it is not even what was last copied.

This MMB copy messes up my code on average a couple of times a week, as I use MMB to focus an app. I.e. If I looking at an email then go back to Houdini I MMB on Houdini to bring it into focus… if I happen to MMB on a Edit String Window I end up pasting code where ever the cursor is. Is there any way to turn off this MMB feature/bug. Could not find anything in the Keyboard settings.

Please help, Thanks!
Staff
48 posts
Are you on Linux? On Linux, the middle mouse button will paste the text most recently highlighted. This is a separate mechanism than the “standard” cut/copy/paste, often ctrl-x, c and v.
1743 posts
It happens on Windows in Houdini, too. There should probably be a preference for it that defaults to off on Windows, or something like that. Middle-clicking in a single-line text field adds a number, interestingly enough.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
17 posts
Sorry for not clarifying, I am using windows.

Playing around with it a bit more. It looks like it pastes what ever you last selected/highlighted, like you mentioned christopherw.

christopherw do you know what this separate mechanism is called. I live in fear of accidently using the MMB wrong spot.

ndickson I looked in the preferences under scripting… and well everything else and could not turn it off MMB pasting, but am not sure what I should be looking for.

From the looks of it the Hotkey Manager does not display or let you edit Mouse functions?
1743 posts
Whoops! I was ambiguous. By “There should probably be a preference for it”, I meant “It would be nice if there were a preference for it”. As far as I know, there's no option; it's just behaviour that's hardcoded into the multi-line text field. Sorry. Please feel free to submit an RFE [www.sidefx.com] (Request For Enhancement) to add an option, though.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
17 posts
Thanks ndickson, I put in a ticket. RFE #88648
Edited by MattRapelje - March 28, 2018 18:34:28
  • Quick Links