Exporting FBX skeleton and animations into Unreal engine 4

3125   1   0
6 posts
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experience exporting animations to Unreal.

I'm currently using the ‘filmboxfbx’ output node, including the FBX mesh which has a bone capture and bone deform SOPs and every one of the rig's bones as shown in the picture. When I exclude the bones I get an Warning saying ‘Cregion’s container node was not exported to file'.

When I do include the bones or just the hierarchy's root, I get an Error saying ‘Could not find the start node specified’ listing every extra object included besides the mesh.

Has anyone used Houdini to create Unreal animations before? Seems like it would be a valid alternative.

**Update**

I've learned how to use the toolbar's bone capture tool from watching this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STMJCA-UC_I [www.youtube.com] (great channel btw)

So the weighting works a lot better now.

As far as exporting in FBX goes, the solution seems to be to have the Geometry node and the rig in the same Sub network and make sure to select -that- from the “Operator bundles” window during export instead of selecting all the elements.

So now I have a working skeleton in Unreal!

Edited by Weastley - March 30, 2018 15:44:49

Attachments:
AnimationUE4.jpg (255.4 KB)
Weights.jpg (98.5 KB)
UE4Skeleton.jpg (103.9 KB)

6 posts
Just going to go ahead and bump my own thread in case anyone can help with this.

All of the nulls used to operate the IKs are exported when I use the method described above meaning I have bones in Unreal created by the IK goals and twist affector.

Does anyone know how I could exclude these during export? It doesn't seem like there is a way of having these function outside the Subnetwork I export.
  • Quick Links