Manual Collision Shape Control

1648   5   1
606 posts
Anyone have any guidance on how to manually set the values (Position, Rotation, Box Size, Radius, Length) for the collision shapes in simulation?

I need procedural control over this, for example, growing a force field around a character, pushing other scene objects away in the process.

I'd set the collision shape to Sphere and then grow the collision shape over time. I'd imagine I'd do this in VEX, but the documentation is not really clear where/how to even do that?

Thanks.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
17 posts
Hi
If You have Bullet in mind and You want collision geometry to be different than Your final geo, You can just import it to DOP as deforming objects, animate it on the SOP level and replace it afterwards with you second geo.
606 posts
Nah, I'm not talking about the Active Deforming object trick, I'm talking about unchecking the AutoFit option on Geometry Representation and valuing those attributes via VEX code.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
606 posts
I wonder why SESI has not embraced the Physx Libraries? Is it because its bound to Nvidia hardware only?

Also wonder if the VFX community has any interest in incorporating the Physx libraries into Houdini?
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
17 posts
You can modify bullet data via “Modify Data” DOP node and drive it with values outside of network, but it looks like You cannot point it to SOP solver and drive it that way (probably dependency issues). I doubt that You can modify it purely through VEX.

Attachments:
modify_bullet_data.hipnc (242.6 KB)

606 posts
Thanks for the assist skoora. The NVidia VFX tools look promising and I think its worth the peak to compare equal simulations between Houdini OpenCL Solvers and NVidia GPU VFX tools.

I believe FLIP, Grains and Pyro all have OpenCL acceleration options, so, this should be a good barometer about whether or not investing in wrapping the NVidia libraries in Houdini nodes is even worth it.

I gotta apply to get access to the Gameworks GitHub, but that's merely “procedural”.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
  • Quick Links