First boolean. Strange edge issue

1708   4   1
5 posts
I took two primitives and subtracted them to eachother. But this strange edge just keep showing up. It makes trouble when i extrude afterwards.

Perhaps there's already a topic for this but i did not manage to find it.

Be nice

Attachments:
boolean_01.png (370.7 KB)

1743 posts
That's a “bridge” edge, so that the top and bottom polygons can have holes in them. If there were no bridge to the middle, there'd be two separate polygons: the outer quad, and the inner dodecagon wound backwards. If you really want that, you can use a Dissolve SOP to dissolve the edge, and turn off bridging.

As for dealing with issues with extrusion afterward, that depends on the specifics of what extrusion you're trying to do. I'd hope that most cases of extrusion would work as expected.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
5 posts
Hi there, thanks for the answer. I am used to think about how the topology is set from maya, thats why i wanted to manipulate that edge. But i understand now that edge is just not a usual edge. It's magic houdini edge that cannot be treated like a autodesk maya edge.

But now i have been struggling with another issue.
I wanted to build this type of modelling only using nodes in a new project. Just to get me warm in this new way of modelling.
So i created two primitives in a geo-node. And then i just applied them into a boolean, but i dont see the result of my boolean?
Why is that? Is there a node or something that i am missing?

Attachments:
booleantwo.png (702.0 KB)

323 posts
it needs to be a polygons / mesh… the sphere might still be a primitive?
best post a scene and not only screenshots… (the .hip file or the.hiplc or the .hipnc )

greetings

Olaf
5 posts
Thanks Olaf!

The sphere were still a primitive.
  • Quick Links