[SOLVED] Snapping of nodes inside Network editor didn't work suddenly...

7048   7   2
8 posts
Hi guys,

Maybe somebody found such a problem as I found time to time.

Absolutely suddenly different type of snapping nodes inside Network Editor start not to work.

Snap to Grid Points, Grid Lines and even Snap to Visible Nodes don't work. In the evening it works, but, for example next day in the morning after first run of PC, they are not working again… No buttons pressed from my side. Snap to Grid and Snap to Visible Nodes options are turned on (attached a screenshot).
Restart of Houdini and PC didn't help.

But when I've deleted the Houdini configs (in my case a houdini16.5 directory located in my home directory /home/MY_USER_NAME/, I run Linux), after new restart of the Houdini, when new configs was created, they all works fine. And they can continue to work normal, but suddenly, somehow, it breaks again.

I don't know is it a bug of Houdini under the Linux or I did something wrong? My search of this problem through Google, didn't give me a good result. Am I along with this?

Any help will be very appreciated! Thank you, guys!

Regards,
Dmitriy
Edited by potrivaev - July 13, 2018 15:45:44

Attachments:
houdini-snap-problem.png (500.1 KB)

8 posts
I've settled the problem with a help of SideFX's support team!
So, I've decided to post the solution here also.

The problem was, that in networkeditor.pref configuration file, which placed in my home folder (/home/MY_USERNAME/houdini16.5), parameters, which control SNAPPING values was set to 0 (0.000) somehow.
But same time in Houdini preferences window (Edit->Preferences->Network Editor, Nodes and Trees), those parameters was set to 0.05 value. How it could be, different values in configuration file and preferences same time, I don't know.

So, what I did (what the support suggested me) is just change the Snap Radius and Connection Snap Radius parameters in Houdini Preferences window to some different value and save preferences. As the result, the configuration file was rewritten with correct value and SNAPPING functionality back to me again.

Also you can change same values directly in networkeditor.pref configuration file. Those parameters call: snapradius and connectorsnapradius.

So, this is it, guys. Hope it will be useful to somebody else, who may find same problem as I am.

Cheers,
Dmitriy
Edited by potrivaev - Dec. 5, 2018 04:40:26

Attachments:
houdini-snapping-fix.png (63.8 KB)

2 posts
New to Houdini. This drove me nuts. Thanks for posting your findings.
8 posts
Glad it helps you too, Michael!
2 posts
I second that, this worked a charm.

Saved me trashing my preferences for the 5th time in the last couple of months : )

Thank you.
8 posts
tooandflow
I second that, this worked a charm.

Saved me trashing my preferences for the 5th time in the last couple of months : )

Thank you.

You are welcome! Glad this solution still makes somebody happy as I was when solved it
Cheers, tooandflow!
90 posts
Still works. Thank you.
2 posts
In my case, everything turned out to be in order with these parameters. But the dosnapping parameter in the networkeditor.pref file was set to 0. How this happens is not clear.
  • Quick Links