VDB Combine SDF difference, how to group the intersecting area/cavities?

2126   2   1
900 posts
VDB B is getting subtracted from VDB A.
How could I group the resulting cavities so that I can apply a different texture to them?

My workflow so far: once I convert to polys, I use the xyzdist() function in a vex wrangle to check against Geo B at a very short maximum distance.

It works fine with simple setups (like in the pic), but:
-) it's not the most precise solution in complex scenes, especially when you are subtracting many different-in-size pieces.
-) Not efficient because It often needs a further computational intensive operation to shrink down the group.

Ideally I should be able to “tag” the intersecting voxels before I convert the VDB to polys, and somehow be able to bring it with the conversion to polys.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

I attached a project file with the xyzdist() solution.

ps. I tried to search in the forum but couldn't find anything
Edited by Andr - Aug. 13, 2018 19:31:34

Attachments:
xydistexmaple.JPG (42.6 KB)
vdbCombineGrouping.hiplc (162.0 KB)

806 posts
Moin,

question: Have you tried using the boolean function? I have had quite some success with comparable “tricky” meshes (3d-scan). Plus the boolean SOP allows you to tag newly created faces.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
900 posts
hey Marc thanks for the tip.

I just realized that the Convert VDB node offer the feature I was looking for, if you feed the second input it would make a couple of useful groups for you when converting to polys.

Me dumb, I already knew that possibility, I just forgot about it
  • Quick Links