Best way to produce pavement cracking

14827   12   1
319 posts
What would be the best way of simulating a guy landing on a pavement slab (after just jumping) and producing a smallish crater where he lands and cracks eminating from that. I thought about DOP's and RBD's but isn't that more for stuff you want to specifically break apart not for simply fracturing/cracking an object?

Thanks for any suggestions…
234 posts
I would go down the displacement road.
Mix of deforming geometry and animated diplacement + little bit of particle debris.
I did the displacement part for one project. I animated the crack on the ground, and it worked quite nice.
319 posts
Thanks, that sounds like a good solution. For creating the cracks I would use a negative displacement map you mean? I.e. set the displace amount to be a minus value so it intrudes into the geometry? What would be the easiest way of producing an animated displacement map? I would like a fractal-like pattern, so I assume I'd have to create the pattern and make it ‘grow’ accordingly?
557 posts
Depending on what you want to achieve, you may just be able to get away with building a before and after model, and swapping in the new one when the guy hits the ground. That's certainly what I would try first, because I'm old and lazy.
234 posts

yeah, your way is easier for sure. I am just one displacement fan, so whenever is possible I try to displace things.
The way I did the “crack thing”:
I needed clean “ice age” like cracks so I did a 2d animation of a growing crack with pen and paper and then trace it in shake to make blac&white map. In one word I drew every single crack from beggining . I rendered everything in renderman, so I think mantra will handle things nice since it's also micropolygonal renderer.
But, in the end I am not an expert, and there must be more elegant ways to do this…
7725 posts
djorzgul_strashni
so I did a 2d animation of a growing crack with pen and paper and then trace it in shake to make blac&white map.

You might want to check out the Trace SOP next time.
319 posts
What would I use the trace SOP for? I've been working on it today and I've drawn a crack pattern in Photoshop and taken it into COP's. I've then keyframed the size property on a dilateerode node over four frames and used that as a negative displacement map. Was also thinking I could keyframe the magnitude of the displacement as the cracking progresses? Any other suggestions would be welcome!
7725 posts
Sorry, I didn't read your original post properly. The Trace SOP would be useful if you wanted to generate geometry from your images.
234 posts
hehe
thats why I started to learn houdini…
1 posts
You could draw white cracks on a black texture and then overlay (multiply) a white to black radial gradient over it to make it fade from full brightness in the center of the texture to black at the edges. Then drag a brightness threshold over it from light to dark, and it will look like the cracks are spreading out. A little refining and it should look pretty good.

See the image bellow for a simple example…

Take care, and good luck!

3 posts
brilliant !!!
234 posts
great tip.
and there is cool topic on the odForce on this matter, in case someone missed it:
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4032 [odforce.net]
319 posts
Thanks for all your help guys….
  • Quick Links