Alembic Sequence Files Houdini to Maya

13355   6   0
5 posts
Hi,

Recently I had to develop a method for Alembic Sequence files export from Houdini and Load Alembic Sequence files in Maya, I couldn’t find any solution for this problem at that time, so I decided to develop some Python script to do these tricks.
Below you can find my tutorial and source files for abc sequence files Houdini to Maya.
Hope you find this useful in your workflow.
If you have any questions or anything feel free to replay here.

Thanks,
Mahesh MS.

Attachments:
HELP_abc_sequence_files_Houdini_to_Maya.pdf (549.9 KB)
abc_seq.zip (1.9 MB)

1 posts
Nice !
83 posts
If you uncheck “Render Full Range(Override Frame-By-Frame)”, then you get one .abc file per frame.
No need for hacky post frame scripts
Edited by blackpixel_mv - Oct. 12, 2018 12:16:08

Attachments:
abcrange.JPG (44.6 KB)

Mariusz Wesierski @ Mackevision
5 posts
blackpixel_mv
If you uncheck “Render Full Range(Override Frame-By-Frame)”, then you get one .abc file per frame.
No need for hacky post frame scripts

Thanks, I didn't notice this one before .
4 posts
msmahesh
Hi,

Recently I had to develop a method for Alembic Sequence files export from Houdini and Load Alembic Sequence files in Maya, I couldn’t find any solution for this problem at that time, so I decided to develop some Python script to do these tricks.
Below you can find my tutorial and source files for abc sequence files Houdini to Maya.
Hope you find this useful in your workflow.
If you have any questions or anything feel free to replay here.

Thanks,
Mahesh MS.
Very Nice stuff! Thanks a lot! I really needed that.
For Motion Graphics mostly we need to have the color attribute for rendering. Can you help me to have that in Maya? I heard it's possible to do it but I don't know anything from scripting in Maya.
11 posts
This is completely unnecessary…Just write on .abc with a frame range.

To get color in Maya from Houdini you just need to import the ABC file via the Mel script editor in Maya with a command like this:

AbcImport -mode import -rcs “myPathToMyAlembic\myAlembicFile.abc”;

It is the -mode import -rcs part that gives you color.

In Houdini, if you have groups you can use the nameSop with group by name and then in the AlembicRop under geometry partition, set it to “by attribute” and then select name. This way you get your groupings in Maya. You will have to turn on show shape nodes in the outliner.
53 posts
jordanhalsey
This is completely unnecessary...Just write on .abc with a frame range.

To get color in Maya from Houdini you just need to import the ABC file via the Mel script editor in Maya with a command like this:

AbcImport -mode import -rcs “myPathToMyAlembic\myAlembicFile.abc”;

It is the -mode import -rcs part that gives you color.

In Houdini, if you have groups you can use the nameSop with group by name and then in the AlembicRop under geometry partition, set it to "by attribute" and then select name. This way you get your groupings in Maya. You will have to turn on show shape nodes in the outliner.

Attachments:
2023-07-29_110945.png (26.6 KB)

• Quick Links