Retimed temperature values fade/pop

1418   2   4
61 posts
I've put an explosion sim through the Retime SOP in H17 and noticed the values of the temperature field fade and pop.
The pop happens every 20 frames, with which I assume is when the Retime reads an actual frame so it's not interpolating anymore.
Anything in between decreases in value slightly over time and then back up a bit, up until the pop.
I've been changing the parameters on the Retime node, but nothing seems to help.
Converting the VDBs back to Houdin Volumes also didn't change anything.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them, as I've currently ran out.

Eckhart
Edited by Eckxter - Oct. 12, 2018 10:38:36

Attachments:
Retime_Explosion.v000.mp4 (718.3 KB)

- A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men.
4 posts
Yeah, I'm seeing the same issue with both density and heat channels. So far I've only tested it in viewport preview. I have not tried rendering the volumes yet. But I assume if its popping in preview that we'll see a pop in render.

I would love to hear how to best deal with the popping values. I know retiming fire causes a lot of issues. FumeFx has a hard time with retiming fire without popping as well. I thought reducing the speed to say .5 rather than .1 would help but the pops seem to become even more apparent when I do that.
4 posts
Yeah, I'm seeing the same issue with both density and heat channels. So far I've only tested it in viewport preview. I have not tried rendering the volumes yet. But I assume if its popping in preview that we'll see a pop in render.

I would love to hear how to best deal with the popping values. I know retiming fire causes a lot of issues. FumeFx has a hard time with retiming fire without popping as well. I thought reducing the speed to say .5 rather than .1 would help but the pops seem to become even more apparent when I do that.
  • Quick Links