Bad edges in polygins

1902   9   1
224 posts
I am importing some geometry from an obj file, and it is full of small issues that are making geometric processing difficult.

One thing I am struggling with is thin edges, where the edge returns on itself, as in the image.

Is there a good automated way to fix these edges?

In this case, 89 is a bad point and should be deleted.

I have tried polydoctor but could not figure out the right settings.

Attachments:
snip.PNG (10.5 KB)

Patrick
900 posts
best if u could upload the problematic geometry, so ppl don't waste time in solutions that would not work.

The only thing I can think of is checking how many neighbors (neighbourcount vex function) for each point. IF < 2 delete point (pt 89 has only 1 connected neighbor)
But that would not work with an open curve. And again, we don't know what kind of geo you have so it's a little bit a shot in the dark.

Cheers!
648 posts
yep what Andr wrote,
however it may be better to fix these problems at the source, especially if you need to work with the modeler for a while.
224 posts
Thanks for your replies. Here it is, attached, I isolated the bad polygon.

I am thinking that probably I need to measure the internal angle, and if it is close to 360, then delete the point?

Attachments:
bad_poly.hipnc (66.6 KB)

Patrick
900 posts
With this particular geo, I think the cheapest way to do is to append a fuse sop and slightly increase the distance parameter.
It's not very procedural, but maybe you do need a procedural solution.

How do you create the geo, inside Houdini?
224 posts
The geometry is imported from an obj, with 1 million polygons. So the solution needs to be procedural.
Patrick
900 posts
I took for granted that your surface is flat: this solution using using VDB might work with the 1 million polys geo, but probably is not super-efficient/fast.
Anyway it worked with the simple geo you provided, check the attached file.

I would be curios to know better ways to fix it, I tried some wrangling and some boolean without much success.

cheers

Attachments:
bad_poly-1_vdbfix.hipnc (152.9 KB)

224 posts
I have solved it with a little vex code. For each vertex, I take the dot product of the two vectors, if it is close to 1, then I delete the point. Seems to work fine. See attached.

Attachments:
bad_poly.hipnc (63.4 KB)

Patrick
224 posts
I think I was using @elemnum in the wrong way in that last solution. When I used it with the big obj file, it cause problems. Here is the fixed version. Now it works fine.

Seems to run very fast, for 877K polygons took less than a second. (It says Last Cook 0.35 ms, but I am not sure if this is the actual execution time.)

Attachments:
bad_poly.hipnc (83.7 KB)

Patrick
900 posts
ah, of course the dot product!
Thanks for sharing your solution. It's very interesting to me as I'm not really used to wrangle with vertices. gg
  • Quick Links