Remove prim Group Vex

4594   3   0
14 posts
Hello People

In a wrangle I delete Prims by a certain thresold by attribute, and I need that each time that I remove this Prims, delete also the Primitive Group that is related to it.

I search vex Functions but I didn't find nothing….

Have someone idea how to do it?… Must be in vex, not python or attaching any SopNode.

Thanks in advance.
editor compositor
7794 posts
The blast node can optionally delete the group if it is empty. Not all operations can or should be done in vex. Removing geometry is best done with the blast node, as there is an increased cost associated with doing it in VEX.
900 posts
I've not tested it with groups, which would be a more real world scenario, so measurements might vary, anyway…
for deleting all the prims, we're talking about more than hundred of times slower than the blast node.
For deleting all the points it's even worse. I wonder if I did anything wrong with the performance monitor ahaha

Would be worth to measure it with groups and deleting only a portion of the geo.

Anyway, I was totally not aware about the big performance difference of the wrangle node in respect to the blast node. Thanks for pointing that out!

The adagio I've always heard is “always better to do stuff in a point\primitive Wrangle for performance reasons”.

Well, not at all true.
Edited by Andr - Nov. 14, 2018 13:55:05

Attachments:
removePRIMS.JPG (110.3 KB)
removePOINTS.JPG (125.0 KB)
efficiency.hiplc (132.3 KB)

14 posts
Thanks Jmack

So if it's not possible with vex I think I will go with python (I think will be slower)..

But will be really nice if someone have a trick to doit
editor compositor
  • Quick Links