Color and Diffuse are two differents things ......

3175   4   1
15 posts
Hello,

I think it would be a good idea to separate Color from Diffusion.
Color is … well …. the color and diffusion the amount of light absorbed by the surface right ?

when i create a shader I only see diff …… that's it …. where is the color.
The littlelest hobo
4140 posts
Can you define what you mean by “make a shader”? Some pre-existing SHOPs might use Color, might use diffuse. Depending on what you call your VOP parameters, it can be whatever you want. It's just labels. The concept of passing colour, the diffuse model, all the rest, is all there for your complete editing pleasure.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
15 posts
(Sorry for my poor english)

I meant creating a shader using VOPs.

Actually, you need two inputs one for the color and one for the diffuse ( at least for the lighting model VOP). You only have diffuse. It would be much cleaner this way, wouldn't it ?

Kader
The littlelest hobo
4140 posts
You're defining the color tint, as it were, for the diffuse aspect of the shading model, which is legitimate. You feed a colour, which is used in a calculation to determine the diffuse portion of the lighting model. You don't typically feed a final “diffuse value” into the shader - that's what the shader is doing(amoungst other things) - determining the diffuse value.

However, you're correct that the Lighting Model VOP is sort of an “all-in-one” generator for a handful of standard shading models, it's primarily intended for a quick way to get some fast typical looks, spitting out specular, diffuse all in one layer. Should you want to get fancy(which is encouraged ), you can first look at how this VOP is typically used in shaders by examing the contents of the Materials tab - put some of those down, like Shiny Metal for instance, select it, hit enter. Inside is another network that shows ways to use it.

Now, if you want to get into building your *own* lighting models(which is also encouraged ), you should start getting into VEX and making your own VOPs(or just all-text shaders, if you prefer, without the GUI). For instance here, our shading guru has written in-house shaders that calculate diffuse, specular, and reflective all separately, after which you can combine them in various standard(or non-standard) ways.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
15 posts
Thank you for your answer.
The littlelest hobo
  • Quick Links