sprite procedural help

5316   9   1
509 posts
sorry for this question but.. i cant sort it out apprently…
where do i find all the variables available for the “sprite” settings when i render and OBJ procedurally?

thanks.
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
4262 posts
Do you mean which attributes are used for the generation of the sprites? I think its just v, up and pscale. (Which you can set with the Point SOP) You can also assign shaders to the points with the Shader SOP.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
509 posts
I'm talking about … when you use the “procedural” method for render a OBJ … where you have particles… then you use a attribcreate to set the “spritescale”… and “spriteshop”… but i'm sure there're others … and i dunno where to find doc about such variables..
JcN
4262 posts
Oh errr sorry I was thinking of instancing.

Try spriteuv, spriteshop, spriterot and spritescale. (From the Sprite POP's help).

float spriteuv
string spriteshop
float spriterot
float spritescale

I don't think you can create float attributes of size 4 with the AttribCreate SOP in Houdini 8.0, so you'll have to hijack another attribute and rename it or just use VEX. (Or you could just use Houdini 8.1)
65 posts
It sounds like you have hit that wall called hescape particle/sprite documentation.
The variables you are talking about are practically impossible to locate.

Unfortunately using the particle SOP method to control and render sprites will cause
you a great deal of frustration, as I believe development of the particle SOP was halted
a number of versions to make way for POPs, which can only be found in HMaster ,
as for the the documentation, that too has been hidden away.
I guess you have had a look at the particle SOP document or lack there of.

I'm also guessing that you have gone throught 3DBuzz's particle VTMs and now you want
more info, that's where I found myself too. I had hoped the new houdini book was going
to solve the problem, not a word about it… I learned more from 3DBuzz's VTMs which
made the book seem like a waste of my time…

Conclusion: I'm affraid the particle SOP is now a legacy tool, not to say it can't do almost
anything you can with POPs, but without more information/documentation, I guess it
will not be an easy road without POPs, which is heavily documented. It's still a powerfull
tool, just make sure you play around in the vex builder, once I started to do that, it all
started to become a little clearer…

good luck..
509 posts
ok.. i can try… but .. dunno if my build is older than yours.. i cant find spriteuv or others into spritePOP help page or local variables for example… and btw.. what I'm looking for is to stop to “try” … i wish a help page about such sprite variables somewhere…
in spritePOP i've got pscale… which it might be the same as spritescale… but … still. i wish to read it somewhere..

hope i'm not asking too much this is just out of my couriosity and needs to clarify some of my doubts about sprite rendering with particles…

cheers.
JcN
4262 posts
In general, I find that a large amount of Houdini has documentation, but since the documentation is arranged in a node-based layout it can be quite difficult to figure out how different things relate to one another. There can be tiny snippets all over the place that you need to know about in order to get decent results.

From the Sprite POP's Help.

Third paragraph in the overview section.

The help docs
This operator modifies the following attributes: spriteuv, spriteshop, spriterot and spritescale. The operator will add the attributes if they don't exist already.
509 posts
… then those 4 variables must be the only available for sprites (other that attributes passed through mantra obviosuly.. ) …

thanks a lot
JcN
65 posts
Wolfwood is right…

You will need to make sure you check other nodes which might possibly be used
in conjunction with sprites, that's houdini I'm afraid, being a node based system
makes it its streangth and its weakness, full documentation is practically impossible,
due to the possible combinations…

509 posts
dont get me wrong … honestly… i'm so addicted by houdini that i'm really not complaining… I was just wondering why such variables .. werent documentated in the Createattribute SOP for example… also because.. and this might be cause i'm still not a Master with H… i didnt found many more cases where I should look “somewere else” for help of what i need… honeslty I always found every help I needed…

that said .. thanks for your help ..
JcN
  • Quick Links