File cache

2866   3   0
5 posts
Good evening

I have been using the file cache node to save some geometry as I go through a multi stage workflow, but I’ve just read that “If you start a render, it will always use the input geometry, ignoring this parameter.” in the help for the node.

I’m doing a fairly large scene using packed primitives for my huge forest and could do with any advantage when it comes to footprint.

Do the normal file node and geometry rop not suffer from this and get read out as is at render time?

Thanks in advance

Gavin
7771 posts
The File Caches ‘Load from Disk’ help text has nothing to do with rendering your image. It means when you re-render the filecache node, it uses the input instead of attempting to write the file being loaded back over itself.

That tip can be safely ignored as an obvious requirement of the node's own function, as reading the same file being written makes no sense.

You can safely use this node in ‘load from disk’ mode when rendering your scene.
Edited by jsmack - Feb. 1, 2019 19:03:13
5 posts
Excellent, thankyou.

It seemed a little strange, maybe SideFX can reword that bit of the help documentation for clarity.

Having done a few test renders in mantra now of several hundred, one million tri trees in shot I have satisfied myself that they are working in my scene!

Thanks again!
2 posts
Hi Guys,
I have a problem while saving the file cache for a water sim. I have tried different ways to save it (Save to disk and Save to disk in background) but it finish the render and it doesn't appear in the folder. I'd checked a lot of times the output but It's the same… I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It takes 45mins to 2h to do the cache files and for nothing…
If anyone have an idea what is going on… I'll really appreciate it.
  • Quick Links