VEX questions?

7028   6   2
319 posts
Is there a command in VEX which will output the contents of a variable to an output window for debugging purposes?

Also, how do you comment code in VEX? In the help it says use either // or /* */ but when I try either of these Houdini throws up an error! I'm trying to write a function in the Alias and Variables dialog. When I take the comment out, no error occurs so its not my code….

Thanks…..
2199 posts
An expression written in expression and variables isn't vex it's a weird hscript C hybrid. Try using # for comments.
For debugging VEX use printf, for debugging hscript use message, or just set a global variable with setenv.
Not too sure about debugging expressions, maybe message works.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
319 posts
Hmm my tutor told us that the functions written in aliases and variables was VEX. Now I'm confused! If I want to write a piece of proper VEX code where do I do it? Do you have to write it as an external text file? If so, how do I reference the text file to use it as a function?
2199 posts
You can write it in an external file - or go to file -> new operator type and select the apprioprate type, then select ok and it will bring up a dialog box, one of the tabs will be a vex one, you can add your own code in there.
166 posts
For debuging use
sprintf();

Have a look at the print OP in VEX and the help cause there is a special syntax to use if I remember correctly.
Time to get out of this messy world.
2199 posts
printf() - prints to the console
sprintf() is for formating strings for use with variables, I believe.
Edited by - June 28, 2006 13:07:48
166 posts
True, my bad.
Time to get out of this messy world.
  • Quick Links