Vellum with Rigid bodies and collisions

4616   5   2
1 posts
Q1) Hello, I am new to Vellum, and I wanna make a basic setup of a rope holding a torus - (Like necklace for example)- but I don't know how to make the string affect that rigid part … I've tried the balloon and strut and their attribute modifications but they still not rigid enough and the collision impact is so weak… is there any way to mix vellum objects with rigid bodies and other collision type objects?

Q2) Is there anyway to attach vellum objects to an alembic object >>> I've converted the alembic object to polygons and when I attach vellum string to the boat it makes the boat dynamic and fall due to gravity … I've solved this with making all the boat pined to itself with ‘match animation’ checked but I guess there is a more appropriate way to do this.. in brief ( I want it to be just an affector with string ends glued to it, and I don't want it to be simulated.

Note: I tried this on SOP level, not Autodop network..
Image Not Found

Thanks in advance

Attachments:
Test2.png (418.6 KB)
test3.PNG (89.5 KB)
Test.png (30.6 KB)

17 posts
Hi Blackho4,

It's a good question. Did you ever find out how to do it?

I have exactly the same problem and I have searched everywhere with no luck. I'm trying to create something like a very simple ‘Newton’s Cradle', just balls on strings colliding.

Ash
209 posts
Hey dude!
Why aren't you using rigid body constraints for simulating string too?
Vellume objects and Rigid bodies can not collide mutually so if you insist to use Vellume for simulating string, you should turn your blue object to Vellume object or using some forces to creating fake interaction between Vellume string and the rigid body.
17 posts
Hi N-G!

Thanks for getting back to me. The honest answer is because I'm not very good at it. I can do regular basic RBD collisions and basic Vellum cloth/strings. I tried an RBD only version, based on Matt Estela's wrecking ball [www.sidefx.com] using a constraints network, and I tried a vellum solution similar to the one above, but they both looked weird.

Putting a ball on a string should be the simplest thing, but I'm flummoxed!
209 posts
I made a simple example for you.
hope it helps!

Attachments:
RBD String.hip (309.3 KB)

17 posts
That's great!

BTW, I love the use of VDBs. It's really good to see how you approach this and the there's a lot of things there for me to learn from. This should get me to where I want to be.

Thanks again! I do appreciate it.
Edited by ashcic - June 21, 2020 21:26:00
  • Quick Links