center pivot after deleted group

1525   10   1
75 posts
Hey everyone!

I have a little problem here (shot attached)
After i delete some of my primitives (those are faces in Houdini right?) i tried to get a center pivot on the “leftover” mesh)
But sadly my center pivot is not working on a mesh “chunk” (even if “keep points” is turned off)
I even tried to create a new primitive that using the “chunk mesh” to its dimensions (and the funny thing it takes the correct bounding measures from the “chunk mesh”) but sadly the center pivot is wrong on also that newly created mesh

Do You have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Edited by ostyascukor - July 13, 2019 14:13:34

Attachments:
pivotcenter_on_chunk.jpg (565.2 KB)

900 posts
so you want to reposition it to the center?

You could use a match size node, with the right input being a null node
75 posts
i did (at least i think i did) what You said but still pivot is in the origin (0,0,0)

maybe i'm doing something wrong (shot attached)…
Edited by ostyascukor - July 14, 2019 10:40:29

Attachments:
null_yscale2.jpg (190.8 KB)

75 posts
another thing i try to achieve to select those vertical (because of bevel some of them not so vertical ) edges
but because of bevel my top-down select then invert it is not working here, and sadly the before horizontal bevel edge selection selects only the “original” edge, not the “edge loop”

is there any idea how can i solve this? to me the original edge would be fine with an edge loop (that signed on my attached shot)

Thank You!
Edited by ostyascukor - July 14, 2019 10:47:05

Attachments:
select_verticaledges.jpg (161.8 KB)

900 posts
I might be very wrong but it seems there is no node for this type of edge selection??
I was about to suggest to use the ‘group by normal’ option of the ‘group node’, but it appears to be not what you really want.

I made a quick HDA, which seems to work for your needs
Two notes:
1)It's not super efficient, as it work twice for each edge.
2)The tolerance level paramater seems to be NOT linear, and I don't know why. (I guess it's related on how the dot product return the result, which is not linear?)

It be would be nice to have somebody look at these two issues.

Regarding your first question, I don't understand what you trying to do.. too much houdini for me today.
rmb, you get faster and more help if you attach a simple and clean hip file to your questions.

cheers
Edited by Andr - July 14, 2019 14:58:22

Attachments:
selectEdges.hiplc (85.8 KB)

75 posts
Thank You for your fast reply and the help, but your hip file looks like is missing something (or it's my bad again) shot attached
I attached a not cleaned hip file, but it's a simple test, and i created 2 notes (one for the COG pivot problem, one for the edge select “test”)

Thanks again for your help!
Edited by ostyascukor - July 14, 2019 16:54:12

Attachments:
edge_select.jpg (152.5 KB)
cliff_separated.hip (348.7 KB)

900 posts
*edit
Edited by Andr - July 14, 2019 21:21:01
900 posts
my bad, I forgot to embed the digital asset into the hip file.
It should be there now.

Regarding your first question, what is COG?
I tried a couple of solutions anyway, have a look

Ps. the stash node is very handy when you want to produce a simple hip file and get rid of all the unnecessary nodes
Edited by Andr - July 14, 2019 22:54:14

Attachments:
edgesANDpositionig.hiplc (119.1 KB)

75 posts
Hey!

Thanks for the fast reply!

edge select tool:
Sadly i still don't see the “selected edges”, even if i turn of “the display group and attribute list”.

scaling along COG:
COG=center of geometry. it's like the center of the bounding box.
And i would like to scale along this center of geometry a.k.a the center of the bounding box (but as i emphasized in my first post, it's not a simple geometry but a “chunk” mesh, after i deleted rest of the mesh)

Ok let's say i got enough from Houdini for a while

Thank You for the help!
900 posts
Have u setup it like this?

Attachments:
showedges.JPG (149.7 KB)

75 posts
“Have u setup it like this?”
no You didn't say that

Thank You again your help, now i try use Houdini more like procedural detailing (surface displacement) and damaging (some simple boolean chop off)
  • Quick Links