Shotgun Session Error: "Timed out waiting for server to start".

4298   14   2
260 posts
Hi,

I keep getting this error when I try to connect to my shotgun site using the PDG Shotgun Session node.
The strange thing is that I did connect a few days ago, but now I can´t. Same problem on both machines, build 293, but same thing with 321. Perhaps is a windows update problem?
I can import the SG api in the command line tools with hython and in the python shell inside houdini, and connect to my shotgun site. Only with PDG I can´t.

Attachments:
pdg_error.png (97.0 KB)

603 posts
It times out if the shotgun ‘server’ doesn't write to a specific temp file after a few seconds. The server is just a hython process. Could it be failing to write to your temp directory? You could take a look in the pdgtemp/log folder in houdini_temp or working directory to see if anything is written there.
1 posts
Hello, I ask, the effect of the white hydrolysis calculator demonstrated in the new function of houdini17, provide engineering documents for reference? Is the engineering document of the water mist effect emitted from the top of the wave crest, where can I download it? Thank you!

Attachments:
白水.PNG (489.4 KB)

Houdini17 new function demonstrates the effect of white hydrolysis calculator, providing engineering documents for reference?
260 posts
chrisgreb
It times out if the shotgun ‘server’ doesn't write to a specific temp file after a few seconds. The server is just a hython process. Could it be failing to write to your temp directory? You could take a look in the pdgtemp/log folder in houdini_temp or working directory to see if anything is written there.

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.
No, Hython doesn´t save the file in the temp folder. I used a custom folder and the default folder. None of them worked.
603 posts
Are there any log files in the temp folders? They may contain error messages.
Otherwise, could you please attach a hip file here or to a support bug for us to try to reproduce.
260 posts
chrisgreb
Are there any log files in the temp folders? They may contain error messages.
Otherwise, could you please attach a hip file here or to a support bug for us to try to reproduce.

Hi Chris,

There is no file in the temp folder (although it creates the folder, but not the files).
I just used a simples file with a TOPnet with a Shotgun Session inside, nothing fancy.

The strange thing is: the example file in the docs worked at some point last week, but not anymore. And both computers had a Windows update going on after that, so I´m assuming is something related to that, could it be?

Are there some tests I could perform to try to narrow down the problem?
603 posts
Try taking down your firewall if there is one up, sometimes windows update will re-enable it.

You could try running this little test of the shotgun python api in Houdini:

import shotgun_api3
from pprint import pprint
import os
SERVER_PATH = "https://creature.shotgunstudio.com"
def test():
    sg = shotgun_api3.Shotgun(SERVER_PATH, 
        login=os.environ['PDG_SHOTGUN_LOGIN'], 
        password=os.environ['PDG_SHOTGUN_PASSWORD'])

# --------------------------------------
    # Find a Version by id
    fields = ['id', 'code', 'sg_asset_type']

# Change this to the id of a Version in a project you have access to
    filters = [['id', 'is', 1027]]
    result = sg.find('Version', filters, fields,[], 'all', 0)
    pprint(result)
Edited by chrisgreb - July 23, 2019 14:13:11
260 posts
chrisgreb
pprint(result)

Hi Chris,

It works in the Houdini´s python shell. It works on hython too (with the command line tools).
I think it´s something in the pre-cook pass.

Attachments:
shotgun_test.png (42.3 KB)

603 posts
You could try running the rpc server manually at command shell, maybe there will be some errors:

"C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.5.300\bin\hython.exe" "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.5.300\houdini\python2.7libs\pdgjob\shotgunrpc.py" --port 59685 --name test --temp_dir C:/temp --shotgun_url https://creature.shotgunstudio.com
Edited by chrisgreb - July 23, 2019 14:46:39
260 posts
Got a different error message.
The “error” in the beginning is from my pipeline scripts, but I already tested with default user preferences and got the same errors.

Welcome to the Houdini 17.5.293 command line tools.
The Houdini environment has been initialized. [windows-x86_64-cl19.16]
Starting command prompt...

Microsoft Windows [versão 10.0.18362.239]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. Todos os direitos reservados.

C:\Users\guilh>"C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.5.293\bin\hython.exe" "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.5.293\houdini\python2.7libs\pdgjob\shotgunrpc.py" --port 59685 --name test --temp_dir C:/temp --shotgun_url https://hardcorefx.shotgunstudio.com
Project not set yet, using default values.
Please set the project first, quitting...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.5.293\houdini\python2.7libs\pdgjob\shotgunrpc.py", line 260, in <module>
    args.temp_dir
  File "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.5.293\houdini\python2.7libs\pdgjob\shotgunrpc.py", line 210, in main
    logging.basicConfig(level=logging.INFO, filename=log_file)
  File "C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\Houdini 17.5.293\python27\lib\logging\__init__.py", line 1554, in basicConfig
    hdlr = FileHandler(filename, mode)
  File "C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\Houdini 17.5.293\python27\lib\logging\__init__.py", line 920, in __init__
    StreamHandler.__init__(self, self._open())
  File "C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\Houdini 17.5.293\python27\lib\logging\__init__.py", line 950, in _open
    stream = open(self.baseFilename, self.mode)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\temp\\test_shotgunrpc.log'
603 posts
It seems to be complaining about Ctemp not existing. You can change that to a temp folder that you have.
260 posts
sorry about that.
It worked.

the file “._pdg_shotgun_info_test” has this contents:
{"host": "Haroldo", "proto_type": "xmlrpc", "pid": 10148, "name": "test", "port": 59685}

and the log file “test_shotgunrpc” is empty.
Edited by guilhermecasagrandi - July 23, 2019 16:35:33
260 posts
Hi @chrisgreb,

Any thoughts about why it works everywhere, but not in the Shotgun Session TOP node?
603 posts
Maybe worth trying with the most recent daily build? Can you run other TOP nodes ok? Otherwise if you like you could submit a hip file with a bug ticket and we could continue from there.
260 posts
chrisgreb
Maybe worth trying with the most recent daily build? Can you run other TOP nodes ok? Otherwise if you like you could submit a hip file with a bug ticket and we could continue from there.

Thanks Chris. Everything else works as expected, just this node that is not working as (I think) It should.

I´ve submitted a ticket for this. Thanks for the help.
  • Quick Links