Setting ImageMagick env variable on a Mac

9957   22   3
208 posts
I thought

PDG_IMAGEMAGICK = /Applications/ImageMagick/bin;&

would do the trick but no luck. I'm lousy at environmental variables - anyone see an obvious error assuming the file path is correct?
603 posts
Is this in your houdini.env file? What error message are you getting?
208 posts
Yes, that's my .env file. I also use Renderman and Megascans. I set their .env paths by copying and pasting their examples and changing the file paths but couldn't find an explicit example in the help docs for Houdini or ImageMagick this time.

No error message other than the red fail cross on the node. I installed ImageMagick and ran the TOP Wedge example script.
Edited by kevinthebright - June 18, 2019 11:45:49

Attachments:
ImageMagick_error.jpg (49.9 KB)

Staff
387 posts
Hi there,

If you double click on the failed work item, it will show the log. Can you post the log for one of the failed items for us to examine?
208 posts
Attached screen grab. It isn't finding Imagick. I used to MacPorts to install with no problems but something went sideways. If you have any ideas, I'll try them but no rush, I was just giving PDG a test run.

Attachments:
IM log.png (34.5 KB)

Staff
387 posts
I'm not familiar with MacPorts so I can't comment on the installation, but it does look like the path to Imagemagick is incorrect in the log.

Is your PDG_IMAGEMAGICK variable pointing directly at the executable?

For example, mine looks like this:

PDG_IMAGEMAGICK=C:\ImageMagick\magick.exe
208 posts
Thanks but .exe files are Windows executables. On a Mac, its usually a .app package. ImageMagick doesn't wrap into a .app file so I thought I should point to the /bin but that hassn't worked.
Staff
387 posts
There should be a file called “magick” under the bin folder that can be pointed to on MacOS.

edit: this was installed with Homebrew, however, so there may be differences.
Edited by BrookeA - June 20, 2019 18:48:20
208 posts
Thanks. I pointed the file path to magick but it generates an error as well, that one of the dylib is missing. The dylib file is installed so I'll try to reinstall ImageMagick and see if that fixes it.
208 posts
Didn't get ImageMagick installed with either MacPorts or Homebrew installs with

PDG_IMAGEMAGICK=/Applications/ImageMagick-7.0.8/bin/magick

Not a big deal but disappointing. I would love it if SideFX wouldn't go the plug-in route. Modo went that route and you just end up feeling like an IT Dept maintaing updates all the time. Or at least make it as easy as the GameTools.
Staff
387 posts
Are you getting an error message? That setup looks like it is correct to me.
208 posts
Yes, it is:

dyld: Library not loaded: /ImageMagick-7.0.8/lib/libMagickCore-7.Q16HDRI.6.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/ImageMagick-7.0.8/bin/magick
Reason: image not found
Executing command: “/Applications/ImageMagick-7.0.8/bin/magick” -label ‘mymontage1’ -background black -mode concatenate “/Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.5.293/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/houdini/help/examples/nodes/top/imagemagick/terrain_images/inputs/ridges-inputs-001.png” “/Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.5.293/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/houdini/help/examples/nodes/top/imagemagick/terrain_images/targets/ridges-targets-001.png” “/Users/io/Projects/PDG/images/imagemagick11.jpg”

libMagickCore-7.Q16HDRI.6.dylib is installed in that location.

Hip file attached. It is the PDG example file from the help.
Edited by kevinthebright - Aug. 6, 2019 12:18:46

Attachments:
ImageMagickTests.hiplc (189.8 KB)

Staff
387 posts
Can you try running the command from your terminal and see if that works?
208 posts
Sure.

I ran both PDG_IMAGEMAGICK=/Applications/ImageMagick-7.0.8/bin/magick and PDG_IMAGEMAGICK=/Applications/ImageMagick-7.0.8/bin/magick/montage but nothing happened, i.e., the terminal returned to the command prompt.
208 posts
Screen shot of file structure on my end

Attachments:
ScreenShot 2019-08-06 at 9.15.20 AM.png (221.5 KB)

Staff
387 posts
Hi, sorry I should have clarified – I meant to run this command in your terminal:

“/Applications/ImageMagick-7.0.8/bin/magick” -label ‘mymontage1’ -background black -mode concatenate “/Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.5.293/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/houdini/help/examples/nodes/top/imagemagick/terrain_images/inputs/ridges-inputs-001.png” “/Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.5.293/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/houdini/help/examples/nodes/top/imagemagick/terrain_images/targets/ridges-targets-001.png” “/Users/io/Projects/PDG/images/imagemagick11.jpg”
208 posts
I get:

-bash: “/Applications/ImageMagick-7.0.8/bin/magick”: No such file or directory
Staff
387 posts
Can you try this amended command from your Terminal:

“/Applications/ImageMagick-7.0.8/bin/montage” -label ‘mymontage1’ -background black -mode concatenate “/Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.5.293/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/houdini/help/examples/nodes/top/imagemagick/terrain_images/inputs/ridges-inputs-001.png” “/Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.5.293/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/houdini/help/examples/nodes/top/imagemagick/terrain_images/targets/ridges-targets-001.png” “/Users/io/Projects/PDG/images/imagemagick11.jpg”
208 posts
Same, no such file or directory.
Staff
387 posts
Is it definitely installed at the location in the command? It seems that the location does not exist.

If you can, I would recommend filing a question or bug with support and we can continue investigating your issue from there.
Edited by BrookeA - Aug. 6, 2019 14:13:24
  • Quick Links