Font Support for European Characters

4574   4   0
73 posts
I am curious whether support for non english fonts could be implemented?

It would be great if I could use eastern europen fonts with Font sop or Cop.
387 posts
It's there already. Just get your font, and tell the FONT SOP about it… There's a button on the Font Sop: “Start Font Manager”. Check it out…

Here's a quick example. I created a new directory called $HOME/houdini/Fonts where I keep all my extra fonts. There's an environment variable: HOUDINI_OUTLINEFONT_PATH which knows where your fonts are. You can add this new dir to that var, but it's not necessary. SideFx suggests you use $HOME/houdini8.1 (etc) but I prefer to use a dir without a number (ie. “houdini”) so that I don't have to keep moving my fonts as the version numbers change.

Let's get a new font, eh? Go here:
http://www.1001freefonts.com/fonts/afonts.htm [1001freefonts.com]
I grabbed the first one in “A”. Unzipped it and put it in the dir above. Load it with the Font SOP's Font Manager (and I saved the new list of fonts into my $HOME/houdini/Fonts too…)

Then select the new font from the menu, and hey presto!

cheers,
ben.

Attachments:
f.jpg (6.2 KB)

''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
73 posts
I knew about it, and am using it. This is not the problem.

The problem is that I can not use extra characters from the font set. For example when I type - õ á - or something which contains umlauts the font operator returns just spaces.
398 posts
Use the following syntax
\code
where the code is a number of character in charset.
f = conserve . diffuse . advect . add

fx td @ the mill
73 posts
Super, that works.

thanks for the help
  • Quick Links