Hair

1189   2   0
2 posts
Hello! I am trying to bring a scene for a school project from Houdini into Maya. So far, I transferred everything, except for the character's hair.
So, the hair was groomed and simmed in Houdini. So, it's already done and animated. Is there a way for me to take this already-complete hair and bring it into Maya? I was able to export the curves of the hair that were animated, and it works in Maya! The curves move as they are supposed to. However, when I try to convert those curves to guides, the new hair generated does not move.
So, is there a way to bring this hair from Houdini into Maya? As hair, or as geo, or as a way that will preserve the shape and simulation of the hair and let me recreate it in Maya?
310 posts
You are biting off a lot with your current task, especially for a school project. I'm not sure how you are converting your hair to guides in maya, but we used xgen to create them and give us separate descriptions for each section of hair. Then we simmed the curves we created in maya, in houdini, the exported them out as an abc. When we brought them back in, provided the descriptions were preserved, we could link them up in xgen and generate hair from the simulated curves there.

While this doesn't account for curves that are made in Houdini, it is a workflow that I know does work, if you are using xgen with maya.
2 posts
Ah, I think that may be the problem I'm having-the hair was completely created in Houdini, including the Houdini equivalent of the description. So I suppose I wouldn't be able to generate the hair without essentially re-grooming it, which I'd assume would cause issues
And xgen has a thing called “Curves to Guides”, and I did get hair from those guides, but it wasn't groomed properly
  • Quick Links