New to Houdini Terrain

1461   4   0
66 posts
Hey guys.

I'm new to Houdini TerrainFx and I want to destroy one side of a canyon.

The pic below is what I want. I want just a part of the wall to stick out as the pic shows.

The pic below is what I've achieved so far. I want just the red masked part to stick out and all the rest be preserved in the position they're now.

I've tried all nodes but It messes with all GEO and not just the mask. I tried the heigthfield_project but no success. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks a lot.
Edited by nelpiper73 - Oct. 2, 2019 16:15:18

Attachments:
terrain.jpg (68.9 KB)
terrain_right.jpg (35.9 KB)

31 posts
nelpiper73
Hey guys.

I'm new to Houdini TerrainFx and I want to destroy one side of a canyon.

The pic below is what I want. I want just a part of the wall to stick out as the pic shows.

The pic below is what I've achieved so far. I want just the red masked part to stick out and all the rest be preserved in the position they're now.

I've tried all nodes but It messes with all GEO and not just the mask. I tried the heigthfield_project but no success. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks a lot.

Terrains are just “2D” top-down projections. To do protrusions or extrusions like that you need to leave Terrain behind, convert to poly and go from there. Or you could try to scatter stuff based on the mask.
Edited by asm - Oct. 2, 2019 17:34:30
37 posts
As asm said, terrains are 2D volume heightmaps, so no overlaps or cavities. Another option would be to extract the terrain area you wish to edit and create a VDB SDF volume from it. Then you can apply volume displacement which will allow the 3D displacement like in the image. For output you would need to convert to a mesh asset.
66 posts
Hey guys.
The heightfield_scatter was a great one but now I ran into another issue. The scatter works ok but when I try to convertheightfield, the scattered GEO disappears. Any ideas?

Thanks.
31 posts
nelpiper73
Hey guys.
The heightfield_scatter was a great one but now I ran into another issue. The scatter works ok but when I try to convertheightfield, the scattered GEO disappears. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Create a separate output only for the geo and use the Convert node. For example.
  • Quick Links