High Resolution Clouds

3163   5   1
28 posts
Hi everyone! I'm trying to render clouds in mantra. As you can see from image, I continue to have problems defining the image. I attach the file, can someone help me to understand where I am going wrong? I would like to render them in high resolution.
Edited by Mary537 - Oct. 27, 2019 18:26:49

Attachments:
Err Cloud.png (350.3 KB)
Test4.hip (2.3 MB)

310 posts
I think it has to do with a combination of your low resolution cloud, and your pixel samples. Try testing with a very small cloud at high resolutions, and see if you see the same patterning. Then try and increase the size of your cloud and see if the patterning appears there. After that, return to the size cloud you have now and see if the problem is fixed.
7726 posts
The problem is due to the offset. Too large an offset has exhausted float precision by 5 significant figures, resulting in an aliased look. Drop the offset value down a few orders of magnitude, and it will appear to be high resolution again.
28 posts
Thank you for your answers. Maybe I solved the problem: I reduced the volume, dropped the offset value down, kept the cloud away from the bounding box and added an anti-aliasing noise node in volumeVop node. Tomorrow I'm attaching the result. My cloud now has a different shape of course though. If I wanted to get the cloud shape that I get with the high offset, is there any other solution to have a high resolution?
28 posts
I set pixel samples to 12,12 for the render in Mantra node and voxel size to 0.02 in cloud node.
28 posts
The last render
Edited by Mary537 - Nov. 12, 2019 06:44:53

Attachments:
Cloud2.JPG (174.4 KB)

• Quick Links