Group last/first point and smooth points question.

8111   5   0
129 posts
1. How can I group the last and first point on a curve? This is something the Join SOP seems do do a good job at when wrapping last to first, however I cant get my head around to find a similar pattern for grouping.

2. Is it possible to smoothsculpt points in EditSOP on explicit axis? It seems to me that it performs it on the average normal only. Even with axis selected.

Thanks
4262 posts
SoulVector
1. How can I group the last and first point on a curve? This is something the Join SOP seems do do a good job at when wrapping last to first, however I cant get my head around to find a similar pattern for grouping.

With the Group SOP couldn't you just put 0 and $N as the pattern?

SoulVector
2. Is it possible to smoothsculpt points in EditSOP on explicit axis? It seems to me that it performs it on the average normal only. Even with axis selected.

Try the settings below.

Attachments:
persp.jpg (63.1 KB)
top.jpg (88.0 KB)
editsop.jpg (38.9 KB)

if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
129 posts
Hi Wolfwood. Thanks for your detailed reply. The example with the displaced grid works fine for me as well but try to create a polygon tube and append a smoothsculpt in y axis and you´ll see that it performs the smoothing in the normals direction.

And the 0 to $N works excellent as long as the point numbers goes from zero to number of points. What I´m looking for is to group the end points in both directions even when the points have random sorting order.

Ne thoughts?
4262 posts
SoulVector
And the 0 to $N works excellent as long as the point numbers goes from zero to number of points. What I´m looking for is to group the end points in both directions even when the points have random sorting order.

Ne thoughts?

Bunch of different ways to handle this. You could use VEX to find out how many neighbours each point has. Any point who has just one neighbour you know to be an end point.

Or you could use the Sort SOP to reorder the point numbers by vertex order. Then the 0 $N will work. (Then you can use the MatchTopology SOP or GroupTransfer SOP to apply the groups to your orginal random sorting order.

Attachments:
endPoints.hip (183.0 KB)

4262 posts
SoulVector
Hi Wolfwood. Thanks for your detailed reply. The example with the displaced grid works fine for me as well but try to create a polygon tube and append a smoothsculpt in y axis and you´ll see that it performs the smoothing in the normals direction.

And right you are. When working in Deform mode it seems to respect the user axis, but not when using Smooth.

Bug? Oversight? Bueller?
129 posts
Sweet. The curve files you posted nailed what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Hopefully someone in the developer department see this thread and notice the smoothing issue. If it´s a bug it would be lovelly to get it working.

Cheers
  • Quick Links