Layered camera image planes with transparency

2683   5   1
2 posts
Hey Folks,

I'm trying to do some tricky layout in Houdini for some VFX work, and it would be great to be able to layer a plate with a transparency in front at a depth close to camera, and then a background image in the distance with my CG sandwiched in between. Ideally this would respect camera aperture, fit and aspect ratio settings.

I know about the background display option, but I see no way to layer multiple image sequences at a set depth. Do I have to build a tool for this, or is there an available technique I'm not seeing in Houdini?

Thanks!

Laurence
7812 posts
lcymet
Do I have to build a tool for this, or is there an available technique I'm not seeing in Houdini?

Yes, there is no built-in way to do this. The simplest way is with textured cards parented to the camera.
2 posts
Okay, thanks for the heads up.
4189 posts
H18 is getting a lot of things right with the camera, i.e. spherical BGs, 2d pan & zoom, and, a Foreground with alpha option would be very welcome and a great addition. Big productivity gains!
7812 posts
You could build this right now with an HDA in LOPs. It's a perfect usage for defining purpose on primitives.
4189 posts
LOPs is definitely v1; the performance is sub-par for animation; simply dropdown a test geometry Crag and it's jerky-as.
  • Quick Links