Roof creation with copy sop

6436   6   1
73 posts
Hi everyone

Do u know any solution with the copy sop to the next problem?

I want to create rooftiles on non planar surfaces. I utilized some solution which is self automatic. U need to draw a curve which defines the normal direction, which drives the copy op the make the tiles. However when using this method on non planar surfaces it is not good. Some algorithm or expression is needed to make rooftiles follow the underlying nonplanar surface. It would be good for making tileroofs for instance for cone shaped roofs.

Do u know any solution?

Thanks in advance
311 posts
you could use seed geometry which you creep on a nurbs surface and then use that to procedurally build tiles.
15 posts
Have you thought about making a displacement shader? Perhaps you could adapt this old vex snakeskin shader here:

http://odforce.net/codex/?page=4&sec=all&catlimit=&sorty=&limit=5 [odforce.net]
73 posts
Thanks guys for the help.

Displacement would not be ok for now.

The ‘creeping’ thing. I've given a try to that before, but was not able to use it as expected. However I think I'll have to give it a newer chance.

If I upload a test file could u help me?

Cheers
311 posts
regget
If I upload a test file could u help me?

Sure.

the key to keeping the creep method easy is to build your seed geometry between 0 and 1 unit.
that way when you creep and fill surface it's easier to control what's going on, and you can keep the creep parameters at their defaults.

Cheers
Edited by - Oct. 12, 2006 15:26:29
311 posts
try this.

It's not the most elegant way to do it but it's a reasonble example.
try playing with the anglw on the twist to see what happens.

Also try replacing the template geometry.

hope this helps.

jerry

Attachments:
roof.hip (56.5 KB)

73 posts
Thanks for the help,

With simple geometry the creep works perfectly, but using my ancient roman tile which is a must now it does not work, tears away the mesh and streches in an unusable manner. Anyway thank u, I pile up the help u gave me Jesta, maybe sometime I'll need to know that.

My solution for now:

I had to shape my roof to be coneshaped, using the above mention rooftile. Need to be real geom, not fake, becouse of close near shots.

I believe there is a more elegant solution than I've found. please let me know that.

See my file.

Cya

Attachments:
RomanRooftile.zip (38.8 KB)

• Quick Links