Ocean to Flip to Unity

3008   2   0
2 posts
Hey,

I am doing a project where I am trying to get something like the picture below in Unity, with FLIP-sim done in Houdini (01.jpg). I followed this tutorial (https://youtu.be/nnujlxEoSDg) to get an ocean that then is simulated in FLIP. So far so good. But when I am trying to port this to Unity, a couple of problems arise:

1) If I use VAT I only get an unlit shader, that does not support transparency. Which seems to be bad for rendering oceans in real time. Is there a way around this?

2) If there is no way around it, are alembics the weapon of choice? If so, is there a way around those ugly holes pictured in 02.jpg? Are those holes cause by the narrow band and will be less severe if I increase the narrow band?

3) More general: How do I delete all polygons, that are not part of the surface after the particlefluidsurface-SOP?

Hopefully you have some pointers and/or ideas how to tackle the topic, thanks!

Hip-File attached as well.

Attachments:
01.JPG (4.7 MB)
02.jpg (301.5 KB)
Houdini_OceanSim_v2.hipnc (2.7 MB)

197 posts
Hi,

VAT is one way of approaching this.. But I would also like to point you to this tutorial: https://vimeo.com/261901539 [vimeo.com]
It also takes care of the sides and bottom of your container if I remember correctly.

If you want to remove the sides and bottom yourself manually, I would either use a bounding box plugged into a group sop, and then delete everything outside of the bounding box. (See attachment) Or delete primitives based on their normal. (See other options on Group SOP)

Paul
Edited by Ambrosiussen - Dec. 13, 2019 16:08:11

Attachments:
Delete_BoundBox.hip (76.9 KB)

Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
2 posts
Wow thank you very much! The tutorial looks promising. I'll try that out tomorrow.

For the current state: I gave up on VAT (for this particular case)/simulating FLIP and instead opted to just bake an alembic simulation. This is what it looks like right now in Unity. I think it is ok, but will definitly check out the linked video because it looks like the better and more fitting approach.

Essentially I created a big highres circle, did a polyreduce that keeps the polys near the camera and smoothly transitions to lower resolution on the edges. This gets displaced by the ocean specturm-SOPs and looped by the game-dev make-loop-SOP (which is super useful). In Unity I made a shader in shader graph that uses normal maps to create ripples on the alembic animation.
Since I dont use FLIP anymore the buoy is “simulated” by a crappy self-coded solver for now. I guess it will stay self-coded but should be less crappy next iteration.

The file is attached for anybody interested. As soon as I get to implement the stuff from the tutorial I'll post another update.

@deleting by bounding box: I was hoping that there was a more elegant way with attributes coming from the simulation itself. Bummer.
Edited by angenehmunangepasst - Dec. 15, 2019 10:56:37

Attachments:
01.jpg (371.3 KB)
ocean2unity_1.hipnc (5.7 MB)

• Quick Links