Different Pitch for each trigerred audio sample

3862   17   3
385 posts
i have an attribute that does the triggering.
and i have an audio sample i copy to each trigger.
but how can i get a different note for each trigger?

Any examples?
chop tutorials are really rare, expecially concerning sound

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (17.5 KB)

172 posts
I don't know CHOP that much but maybe this is smth you're looking for?
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/examples/nodes/chop/copy/CopyStamping.html [www.sidefx.com]
Also, can we utilize foreach for that maybe?)
I contribute to the beauty of this world
385 posts
deviner
I don't know CHOP that much but maybe this is smth you're looking for?
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/examples/nodes/chop/copy/CopyStamping.html [www.sidefx.com]
Also, can we utilize foreach for that maybe?)

this node is not available in houdini 17 i'm afraid…
i wil try the foreach though
8521 posts
papsphilip
this node is not available in houdini 17 i'm afraid
Copy CHOP is definitely in H17 as it's been there since forever and mentioned example seems to be part of H17 help examples too
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
385 posts
tamte
papsphilip
this node is not available in houdini 17 i'm afraid
Copy CHOP is definitely in H17 as it's been there since forever and mentioned example seems to be part of H17 help examples too

my bad i thought the link was about copystamp node in chops,
as you can see in the screenshot i am using a copy node.

but i still havent figured out a way to apply a different pitch to each copy.

something needs to happen between the audio file and the copy sop but i have no idea what.
the parametric eq produces some weird results when utilising pitch adjust. distorts the audio
the warp node does a good job but i dont know how to change the curve input for each cook of the copy sop.

Any ideas?examples?
8521 posts
papsphilip
the same way as with old Copy SOP, using stamp() function

here is an example
it should work as expected when you load the scene, you can hit play or look at the Motion FX View

however if you start tweaking all the copies seem to use the same data as if there was some bug with how the copies are cached
so if that happens, you can cut/paste the copy node to force it to recook everything from scratch

Attachments:
chops_copy_stamping.hip (1.5 MB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
385 posts
tamte
papsphilip

here is an example
it should work as expected when you load the scene, you can hit play or look at the Motion FX View

however if you start tweaking all the copies seem to use the same data as if there was some bug with how the copies are cached
so if that happens, you can cut/paste the copy node to force it to recook everything from scratch
tamte
papsphilip

here is an example

thank you very much for the tip!! i wouldnt have guessed the copy chop needed to recook. I ve tested the setup a bit and almost always i need to cut and paste.
there should be a recook button for each node, or a force recook option for the entire tree, or a part of it.
537 posts
Copying is a lot more difficult in CHOPs than say, SOPs because of the sample based nature of what's going on. If you've got the copy method to work that's awesome, I've use the copy approach before and it's completely valid. One thing that might give a bit more control is to use a lookup ramp as an intermediary step. In this way you can also time-stretch/warp the audio.

Step 1: Triggers, a channel of 0. 1's at individual samples
Step 2: Trigger CHOP, Generate ramps or 0-1 linear progressions. The length would default to the length of the audio file. Half = double pitch. Twice = half pitch.
Step 3: Lookup CHOP
Step 4: This can be done to multiple channels. To hear it, they need to be added. You can use a math chop set to add channels
537 posts
Here you go

Attachments:
copying_audio_clips.hiplc (228.0 KB)

385 posts
andrewlowell
Here you go

thanks!! a lot to learn in this chop setup
385 posts
tamte
papsphilip

here is an example

a problem with this method is that after you change the pitch the samples move away from the triggers. you can see that if you view the copy stamp with and without the pitch node.
its like the samples are getting stretched with a center pivot instead of sticking to the trigger.

i think a better way would be for the left part to stay on the trigger and the right part to stretch and meet the desired pitch.
385 posts
andrewlowell
Here you go

i ve been looking into your setup and there is a weird high pitched sound at times which i cant figure out where its coming from.
the lookup node stretches the audio sample and places it nicely but the glitch is not supposed to be there.
is that something i can fix by tweaking parameters on the existing nodes?

these sounds do not correspond to any triggers as far as the timing is concerned.
if i input my own sample the weird glitch sounds remain in the same place.
So maybe the problem is not the lookup node
8521 posts
papsphilip
a problem with this method is that after you change the pitch the samples move away from the triggers. you can see that if you view the copy stamp with and without the pitch node.
its like the samples are getting stretched with a center pivot instead of sticking to the trigger.

i think a better way would be for the left part to stay on the trigger and the right part to stretch and meet the desired pitch.

the samples are copied so that they start directly at the triggers
the problem here is that the pitch parm in Parametric EQ CHOP stretches/squashes the clip not from the start, but somehow relative to the pitch chunk parameter

in the following example I used Stretch CHOP directly to ilustrate the exact copying to triggers

papsphilip
there should be a recook button for each node, or a force recook option for the entire tree, or a part of it.
there shouldn't be a need for such button, the cook is simply incorrect, I'd consider it a BUG

Attachments:
chops_copy_stamping2.hip (1.5 MB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
164 posts
Hey,

I'm trying to get the copy stamp working without success. I've got a trigger, I've created a variable.

I suspect there's a bug as it worked once but not again.

Am I missing something?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjunmu775gkmm92/copy%20chops.zip?dl=0 [www.dropbox.com]

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-03-08 165059.jpg (279.7 KB)

http://simonfarussell.com [simonfarussell.com]
8521 posts
Simon Russell
I suspect there's a bug as it worked once but not again.
I recall this behavior with Copy CHOP when using stamping
it usually works when you open the scene or set it up the first time, but then any change would snap to ignore the stamping and use just a single copy
I'd say submit a bug

as a workaround you can cut/paste the copy node to just force it, it is a terrible workaround, but at least you don't have to close/open the scene

EDIT: haha, I didn't realize this is the exact same thread where I described that behavior, so yes, the BUG is still there
Edited by tamte - March 8, 2022 15:26:17
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
164 posts
Thanks Tomas,
Yeah I can't get it to work even with the workaround.
It's annoying! I think I may just need to find other more fruitful things to waste my time on
164 posts
Soooo I got a solution. Or someone called Bouncy Ferret did, if that is his real name.

You need to unlink your chop audio from the audio panel, make amends, then link it back up.
The audio panel stops cooking.
164 posts
I've found another solution, a better one I think.
Tick unload on the copy CHOP node and/or any other audio nodes you're using.
Seems to do the job
  • Quick Links