What license do I need to run Hython?

1975   1   2
21 posts
Hi there,

I'm developing a web app where users can view and slightly customize 3D models on the web. Basically, there's a web service which receives API request from the client app, runs some Hython scripts, and returns the computed geometry to the app.
Now I'm in the phase of working out the costs that I could possibly face, so I have a few questions:

• What kind of license do I need for this? Houdini Core, FX, Indie? Need to consider that this could possibly be for commercial use in the future, but at the beginning it would be completely free, so I will not make any money out of it. It would be good to know if I can just use an Indie license at the beginning.

• If my app scales, so I need to run Hython on multiple servers, do I need a license for each server?

• Can I run parallel Hython jobs on the same server?

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Edited by leota - Feb. 17, 2020 08:48:17
Staff
466 posts
hython will check out the “smallest” license available on your machine… it checks for an Engine license, then a Core, then an FX license.

If you only want to read information (not save a HIP file or asset), you can even use hython with an Apprentice license.

You can use the HOUDINI_SCRIPT_LICENSE environment variable to explicitly specify which license is used when hou is imported. But the docs for that are crazy outdated so you might need to check with support how to use it.
  • Quick Links