PDG green and white wires

1750   6   0
209 posts
Hi SideFX,

Can you please explain (or point to the documentation) the difference for green and white (grey) wires between workitem dependencies.

Looks like it has some effect on general workitem communication.

Thanks
Ostap
Edited by Ostap - Feb. 26, 2020 02:00:15

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 7.58.17 PM.png (10.5 KB)

Staff
586 posts
The lines between work items indicate that there's a dependency, e.g. the downstream work item depends on the upstream work item. That means that the downstream work item is generated from the upstream item in a processor, or in the case of a partitioner node it indicates that the partition includes the upstream work item.

I'm not sure what you mean by white lines - are you referring to the wires between nodes themselves?
209 posts
Can you please take a look at attachment?
You have 2 different colours for wires. What do they mean?

Attachments:
img.png (5.8 KB)

Staff
586 posts
Sorry, I think I must have a different color config file on my workstation at the office.

The white wire indicates that the selected work item (the yellow one) is a dynamic work item and the green work item is its parent. The node that holds the selected item is dynamic.

The green wire indicates a generic dependency between two work items. That includes dependencies between a pair of static work items, and between work items and partitions.
Edited by tpetrick - Feb. 26, 2020 23:32:24
209 posts
Thank you for the clarification!
Now it is clear why partitions behaving differently for white wires connection(aka. dynamic workitems).

Also can you please explain what is behind (what is condition) for “Automatic” mode in “Work Item Generation” parm.?
Staff
586 posts
Automatic means that if all the inputs are static and the node is able to do static generation, it will be set to static. If the node has no inputs it'll also be set to static. In all other cases it'll be dynamic.

You should also see a small purple badge on the node once its cooked, if the node was dynamic.

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2020-02-27 17-45-36.png (20.8 KB)

209 posts
Thanks for the explanation!
Edited by Ostap - Feb. 28, 2020 23:56:15
  • Quick Links