Unwanted viewport tumbling - is this a bug?

2161   6   2
13 posts
Hi all,

I keep getting an issue when working on scenes, especially this week.
If I use the cursor keys to move frame left and right in the time line, my view tumbles at the same time.
Admittedly I'm using an old version of Houdini here, 17.0.459. Recently my colleague moved up to Houdini 17.5.173 and has yet to experience this issue, but he's working on a different project and different hardware, so I'm resisting updating my scene midway.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've been working on the same machine for 6 months or so and not had so many viewport issues until recently. I don't want to be changing software, drivers etc, unless necessary. I'd file a bug but I'm aware how old the software is anyway.

Windows 10 pro, 64-bit v1809, 2x RTX 2080 Ti cards (for Redshift) Nvidia drivers 432.00
181 posts
You may have tried this already, but opening the Windows on-screen keyboard panel might indicate if some modifier key is getting stuck. You'd likely see weird behavior elsewhere, if that were the case.

You could also check your Houdini hotkeys for commands that involve the arrow keys. Maybe something got unintentionally remapped.
359 posts
It's likely a Redshift bug. Try updating to a newer version of Redshift, or disable it entirely and see if the problem goes away. This should be patched out of the latest 2.6 builds.
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
13 posts
Cyzor
You may have tried this already, but opening the Windows on-screen keyboard panel might indicate if some modifier key is getting stuck. You'd likely see weird behavior elsewhere, if that were the case.

You could also check your Houdini hotkeys for commands that involve the arrow keys. Maybe something got unintentionally remapped.

That's a very interesting suggestion. I had similar issues with Capture One, where every time I clicked on a text box to edit something the keyboard would pop up to say hi, resizing the whole application above it. I have turned that off, thoroughly.
I've just checked the work machine here and it's already all switched off, but knowing Win 10 it's not really. I'll keep an eye on that, thanks!
13 posts
toadstorm
It's likely a Redshift bug. Try updating to a newer version of Redshift, or disable it entirely and see if the problem goes away. This should be patched out of the latest 2.6 builds.

This is also an interesting suggestion. Thank you! Next time this bug manifests itself I'll switch off redshift for a bit and see how I go. Unfortunately here we have a farm of redshift machines for Houdini, Maya and occasionally Softimage, so updating redshift globally has proven buggy on occasions with the farm randomly loading the wrong plugin via Royal Render etc, so although I could suggest upgrading RS I suspect I'll be told no.
Staff
5158 posts
In older builds, if you hold Space and then use the arrow keys or page up/down, it'll adjust the camera. This was lost in 17.5, which is why it's “fixed” there.
13 posts
twod
In older builds, if you hold Space and then use the arrow keys or page up/down, it'll adjust the camera. This was lost in 17.5, which is why it's “fixed” there.

Interesting. I've not come across that and in 17 here it doesn't seem to happen.

But… so far today I've not had the viewport tumbling. This is like when your car has an issue and you take it to the garage and the issue isn't there… I'm wondering if it's thanks to me turning off all the keyboard accessibility things including sticky keys.
  • Quick Links