Normalising weights of wirecaptureSOP

3539   2   1
289 posts
Hi,

I would like to be able to normalise the weights of the wirecapture, but i do not know how to solve this.
I want to do this because the wirecapture eighter does not displace the geometry enough, or it sometimes overshoots.
I fact I want it to react the same way the captureSOP works for multiple bones or like 3DSMax can use splines for bones so I've added the result of it as a reference.

I've tried to read the wire capture attribute data in the CHOP's with adding the wireCapt in the Attribute scope.

But I do not know how to proceed from there.
The problems I have are the following

1.I don't know how to have dynamically more or less rename scopes in the geometry CHOP. This I will need because I don't know the number of splines I want to add to the wirecaptureSOP.

2.I don't know how to put the processed channels back into a usable attribute for the wiredeformer.

3.I'm not sure that the weightattribute is enough to achieve the goal I want.

4.I would like to be able to paint the weights of the wires individually, also the same way you can do weight painting for bones.

This is the result of Houdini and you can see the wires are unable to deform the points in a normalised way.

The result in CHOPS with a non-dynamic channel rename.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A computer is almost human - except that it does not blame its mistakes on another computer.
7722 posts
kgoossens
I would like to be able to normalise the weights of the wirecapture, but i do not know how to solve this.

In the WireDeform's parameters, change Blending to Weighted and Tension to 1. This gives you the same method as bones.

Also try increasing the Falloff Start parameter in the WireCapture SOP.

1.I don't know how to have dynamically more or less rename scopes in the geometry CHOP. This I will need because I don't know the number of splines I want to add to the wirecaptureSOP.

For this, you probably need to write an expression. I'm not entirely sure all the hscript functions for accessing the attribute information are available though. Perhaps you can get away with not doing this?

2.I don't know how to put the processed channels back
into a usable attribute for the wiredeformer.

Use the Channel SOP.

4.I would like to be able to paint the weights of the wires individually, also the same way you can do weight painting for bones.

Sorry, that's not currently available. There might be some hack to paint using bones and then copy the information onto wires though. I haven't tried.
289 posts
Thanks a lot Edward,

The normalising works, and I'm able to feed the info back into the wireDeformer.
A computer is almost human - except that it does not blame its mistakes on another computer.
  • Quick Links