Vellum Dress / Collision Intersecting

2853   3   0
24 posts
Hello,

I cannot get dress Vellum Cloth work properly with the Collision Geometry . I have an animation of a woman walks down the stairs and upfront and goes into dancing - a pas de deux. the dress should be really simple, therefor I took one of the example-files as reference.

I set up the cloth, as in all the tutorials I've seen with planar patch but also tried a tube but nothing did work. The legs always goes through the dress - its not only intersecting - while she takes the steps (pic_a) and the dress stays in that shape. so it behind the legs for the rest of the simulation. I have one attach to geometry for the upper part and I added and additional one for the middle part but no matter how I set the stiffness or rest length the legs always come through. I tried to animate the stiffness like in tutorial on cloth production. But I could get it work.

Whats the best way to this?

Thank you.
Edited by zauberberg - April 5, 2020 16:12:03

Attachments:
pic-a_cloth intersect.PNG (426.2 KB)

555 posts
shot in the dark, add a convert after your alembic ?

just a quick test, yes without the convert, it had penetration issues.
Edited by vusta - April 5, 2020 18:33:08

Attachments:
Skirt.gif (3.8 MB)

57 posts
From what I have experienced with vellum-

Make sure that nothing is intersecting to begin with which includes:

-cloth is intersecting with collision geo before the simulation starts
-The thickness of your cloth is intersecting with the collision geometry (visualize that in the vellum solver but will only be on if you turned on thickness in any of your vellum constraints)

Also though the dance is pretty fast for the area I see it still having IPs in the gif above. Might try:

- more substeps (A good vellum sim for me is usually a minimum of 5. For faster moving stuff I go 10)
- retime the animation to be half the speed, then sim, then retime the sim to be twice the speed (meaning it'll match the original animation speed)

My set up I usually do a very low poly sim cage then point deform that to a high poly mesh that'll render so that it's faster to sim. I also put a delta mush after for some smoothing (not alot though bc it can lose volume and detail).

Hope this helps
Edited by hopeschroers - April 5, 2020 23:56:11
VFX Student at SCAD
Happy Renders!

https://www.hopeschroers.com/ [www.hopeschroers.com]
24 posts
thanks for your input. I will consider them.
@vusta what are your cloth settings?
  • Quick Links