Can I Use Houdini Apprentice Just To Create OBJ Models?

1839   5   0
2 posts
Hello everyone, my first post!

I'm just wondering, as the title says, whether I can use Houdini Apprentice just to create and export .obj files and texture them using Substance Painter?

I've also got a quick question regarding licensing.

I'm a hobbyist developer that's planning on creating a survival horror VR game for release on the Oculus Store if it ends up being good enough.

I'm also planning to have all proceeds raised from sales, including Oculus' 30% going to charity, probably cancer research, so I personally won't be using models created with Houdini for commercial gain.

Many thanks in advance for any help!
833 posts
Read the license terms, and the FAQs….pretty straightforward info.

Regarding whether or not you plan to sell your work for commercial gain is kind of irrelevant really. It's a bit like saying that you need a car but only to take your sick friend to the doctor and not to make money as an an UBER driver – you still gotta pay for the car!

Houdini Indie at $200/year is crazy cheap, even for hobbyists. Less than $20/month. Most of my friends blow that much on a couple of trips to Starbucks…and that's just for something they will piss out of their system within an hour! ;-)
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
2 posts
It may not be a lot of money to some people but is above my means unfortunately, looks like I'll have to keep on using Blender and Substance Painter instead and ditch Houdini.

Oh well, thanks for your help anyway!
4189 posts
In answer to your original question, yes you can export obj models from Houdini Apprentice. RMB on the node -> Save -> Geometry
833 posts
Substance Painter isn't free.

But yes, if you can't afford $200/year, then Blender is a great option!
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
340 posts
Blender is a good 3D program, but isn't your time worth something? If you use Houdini only a few times a year, it is not worth $200 per year, but you won't be any good at it either. If you use it several times a week, it is cheaper than McDonalds twice a week and better for you.
Edited by Island - April 15, 2020 13:25:34
  • Quick Links