Grouping 1 attribute for an effect (or another proposal)

1302   5   1
159 posts
Hello to the community!

Here i will provide the short video of the effect im trying to achieve. I have a feeling its pretty basic stuff.

I'm trying to do one type of effect .I created a new attribute, and im manipulating that attribute with a moving sphere through attribute transfer. Pretty standard i guess.

But let's say now i want to have that primitives affected by that attribute be manipulated with a mountain sop. First thing i could think of is to somehow put the attribute (or primitives affected) in a group, but don't know how to do it. Tried different group nodes and wouldnt work.
Someone can give an insight or maybe recommend some other method?
480 posts
Hi,

you can set f@height attribute (point attribute) as multiplier for the mountain sop.
159 posts
Aizatulin
Hi,

you can set f@height attribute (point attribute) as multiplier for the mountain sop.

eh…im not so proficient with the program yet…any chance you can post a hip file of that setup? Im not sure how to set it up, for example im not sure how to tie it all up with the f@height attribute and to multiplie it with the mountain sop.
480 posts
Here is an example, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to apply the mountain sop after extrude (just my personal opinion). @height

can be set as distance attribute (distance to another geometry) for example, but you can set however you want.

Attachments:
mountain_grid.hipnc (153.6 KB)

182 posts
Another caveat is that Mountain SOP displaces along the normal, which you most likely don't want for this type of effect.
You could generate a custom N attribute that points up to work with mountain, or…
it might be a good idea to take a deep dive into Point VOPs next, if you want more control ( see attached hip ).

Attachments:
mountain_height_attrib.hiplc (172.2 KB)

159 posts
Hello to all!

Thanks for the activity on posting comments, for real!

I haven't managed to look at it deeply yet, but will do that later in the day, and will post my progress (it will be an attribute thinking seesion for me, as this is something thats deeply involved in manipulating attributes, as am still getting to used to understanding that workflow).
  • Quick Links