Layer from FBX file

3966   7   1
8 posts
I am a new Houdini user.
I'm trying to get specific objects from huge FBX file, and I would like to touch layers created by 3dsmax. Is there anyway to either select or sort objects by layers in Houdini?

Another question, is it possible to manipulate objects by layers in Houdini?
I haven't seen any examples which use layers in Houdini somehow.

Please help me about this issues.

Thank you in advance.
7740 posts
What's a layer? There's no such concept in Houdini.
31 posts
Houdini does not use Layers, but groups, you can organize all the parts of your fbx with the group node. You can also manipulate the contents of the group node independently.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/sop/groupcreate.html [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by Fco Javier - Feb. 10, 2020 06:52:49
806 posts
“Layers” the way you use them in Photoshop or other programs aren't fully compatible with the way Houdini structures its scene (this might, to some extend, change with USD integration progressing over time).
However, there are multiple way to “fake” a layer structure in Houdini. You can use subnetworks inside any structure that basically “are layers” (or folders, if you will):

Or you can use selection groups (press Shift+Z in your network view) and freely add/remove/whatever nodes to any wild topology of selections that you can imagine:

My perspective would be that the “layer view” really isn't helpful in Houdini, except for general scene builds - and there you might want to look into USD.

I hope this helps.

Marc

Attachments:
layer-fake.jpg (51.6 KB)
groups-selections.jpg (42.5 KB)

---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
31 posts
I think that houdini does not need layers, you can decompose the model file from the import node and create your own pipe with the visibility node without leaving the object node. Always speaking from a single file with several components.

Attachments:
Captura.PNG (1.2 MB)

8 posts
Thank you so much for all the comments!!!

I was not aware of the fact that comments came to me.

I thought I suppose to receive a notice from Side.fx when I got a reply.

They are all helpful and I understand GROUP is very useful now.

Actually I found layer names inherited as a name of the group so I can just sort from group name.

Thank you very much again!
Edited by tomo_tomoarch - March 31, 2020 22:04:26
833 posts
To make some sense of heavily grouped .fbx and .obj files, I tend to use the Blast node and see it to delete everything EXCEPT the group I select. That way, I can quick identify what is what and organize it as needed.

Another way of doing things (assuming you're currently using the File node to import the .fbx file) is to use the Import .fbx function from the main File menu which will organize all of the various .fbx “layers” into their own individual SubNetworks. Sometimes this can be more convoluted, and sometimes it can help. You should try both methods.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
8 posts
Thank you very much for the tips. I will try that next time!!
I really appreciate it!
  • Quick Links