Automatic source houdini_setup_bash ?

4921   3   1
4 posts
Hello.
I just installed Houdini 8.1 Apprent. in Linux sucessfully. But i am no Linux Expert (yet).
I have just one simple Question :

Instead of having to type “source houdini_setup_bash” in the Shell to init the environment where in Linux have I put this to be auto-init. at Startup ?
201 posts
Vertex23
Hello.
I just installed Houdini 8.1 Apprent. in Linux sucessfully. But i am no Linux Expert (yet).
I have just one simple Question :

Instead of having to type “source houdini_setup_bash” in the Shell to init the environment where in Linux have I put this to be auto-init. at Startup ?

Been awhile since using unix but I believe you can put into your .login file an entry like:

pushd <directory _where_bash_shell_is_located>
source houdini_setup_bash

Good luck.

Rob
Cheers,
Rob
Digital Supervisor | Stargate Studios Toronto
519 posts
You could do several things….

a) make a little script that cd's to the houdini dir and then starts houdini; something like this

#! /bin/bash
cd /where_ever_is_houdini/hfsx.x.x.x
source houdini_setup_bash

You can run this from the command line. I put houdini in the /opt directory and make a link called hfs referring to hfs8.x.x.x. Imho easy way to maintain (installation) scripts as i only have to change the link when installing a new apprentice version.

b) like (a) but then make the script in KDE/Fluxbox/Gnome
add a menu entry and as startup command use this

cd /where_ever_is_houdini/hfsx.x.x.x && source houdini_setup_bash

If you search on the forums here you can find a nice svg icon someone made to use as icon (btw, thanks someone, it's a nice shiny logo)

c) rework the houdini_setup_bash and add it to your startup profile…Done that here and it works like a charm. Can start houdini everywhere, anytime. Not sure if “shops” do it like this, there might be some pitfalls…

Hope this get's you started. Just play a bit with bash and your windowmanager, you'll manage. And have fun with houdini and linux!
4 posts
Thanks for the prompt and and useful Information.
  • Quick Links