Debugging VEX and VOPs

7782   3   1
56 posts
I'm working on my first non-trivial home-brew SOP using vex. For shaders, printf is really useful for debugging. Is there a way to get printf output for SOP development (without reverting to using the HDK)?

On the same theme, how do people typically debug VOPs?

Cheers,
Darran.
Staff
5175 posts
You should be able to use printf() in VEX SOPs in the same way you do in shaders.

Since I always program in VEX, not VOPs, I can't really answer your other question
7773 posts
There's a Print VOP too I think.
56 posts
twod
You should be able to use printf() in VEX SOPs in the same way you do in shaders.

Where does the output show up though? For shaders, I assume it would be the mantra output. I'm not seeing any printf results for my VEX SOP in the default textport …

It struck me that perhaps the output was going to the console. Since I'm using Windows XP with Houdini started from the task bar, perhaps it was just being lost. I then tried starting houdini from the command line but still no printf SOP output.

Aside, I should have found this message before posting regardless, http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=5900&highlight=printf [sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links