Gradient mapped particle Attributes

6121   5   1
897 posts
I want to map particle attributes to a ramp as with you do with the color node. How do I do the same with “mass” for instance?

Thx
B.Henriksson, DICE
1631 posts
Hi,

After applying a ramp using the Colour POP, you can use the colour attribute as a factor for mass. Put down a Property POP, turn on Mass & type in $CR * 0.5, for example.

Hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
897 posts
sounds logical. Thx man!

But it sounds like you should run into situations where you risc messing up you're coloring? Shouldn't there be a more straight forward solution?
B.Henriksson, DICE
1631 posts
Hi,

Yes, it depends on the situation. In certain cases, it might be better to paint or colour the geometry where you want the particles to have more or less mass since particles inherit the attributes from source geometry. In other cases, the Colour POP is a quick way to set it up. There are many ways and they cater to different requirements.

Cheers!
steven
77 posts
This is the same question I have.
I want to control various particle attributes with a ramp, but I want to keep my color and alpha ramps used for color and alpha.

Could I, for instance, add a null node, and add several float ramps to it in the parameter interface? How would I get those new ramps to use the lookup to the particle system's $AGE or $LIFE values?

I tried this, and added a float param named “lookup” right below the ramp, but I can't figure out how to get it to see the particle system.

Thanks,
~Mike D.
77 posts
From Edward's ramp driven scatter example http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=13237&highlight=custom+ramp [sidefx.com]
I see that you can add a ramp to an attribute create node, and reference the the ramp in the value of the new attribute, but that seems like you are generating a big interface for a small amount of information.
  • Quick Links